Summer Attendance

Undergraduate students who are not required to be enrolled for the summer semester and who still wish to take courses may be considered for Federal Direct Loans and Federal Pell Grants. You must still meet all of the regular eligibility criteria for those programs and must complete the aid application process for the current academic year. If you are interested, you must contact the Financial Aid Office with your summer enrollment information.

Special Conditions and Appeals

We recognize that your family’s circumstances may change from year to year and that some situations may not be entirely captured on the FAFSA. These exceptional circumstances may include significant change in income/employment, substantial unreimbursed medical expenses, change in parent marital status, death of a wage-earning parent, payments to private elementary and secondary schools, etc. Please contact Student Financial Services if you feel your situation needs further review.

Withdrawal from UNE

Withdrawal from UNE will affect your financial aid eligibility. The Tuition Refund Policy will determine the percentage of tuition refunded based on the date of your withdrawal.

Study Abroad and International Students

Students currently receiving federal or state financial aid will usually be able to apply those funds to a study abroad program. UNE institutional aid cannot be used for study abroad unless you are participating in UNE France, UNE Iceland, UNE Morocco, UNE Spain, or UNE faculty-led programs. Schedule an appointment with Student Financial Services to determine how your financial aid will be affected by your plans to study abroad.

International students are not eligible for federal financial aid — however, financing options and other information are available.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education. Once students are enrolled at UNE, in accordance with FERPA, we will need to have written permission from students who wish to grant family members or significant others access to specifics on financial aid or student accounts. A student signing and submitting an Authorization for Release of Information will be giving permission to our staff to engage in email and phone conversations with designated individuals about their UNE financial information. The student must complete this requirement which is a link through their U-Online account.

Student Rights and Responsibilities

Students have a right to

  • Know what financial aid programs are available
  • Know the deadlines for submitting applications 
  • Know how financial aid will be disbursed
  • Know how their financial aid was determined 
  • Know how much of their financial need has been met
  • Know what resources were considered in the calculation of their need
  • Request an explanation of the various programs in their financial aid package 
  • Know the school’s refund policy
  • Know what portion of the financial aid received must be repaid and what portion does not 
  • Know how the school determines satisfactory academic progress

Students have the responsibility to

  • Complete all application forms accurately and submit in a timely fashion
  • Provide correct, valid information on application forms
  • Provide all additional documentation as requested 
  • Read and understand all forms they are asked to sign 
  • Accept all agreements they sign and comply with the provisions of any promissory notes signed 
  • Comply with all relevant employment policies & perform agreed upon work agreed while participating in Federal Work Study program  
  • Be aware of and comply with any deadlines for application or reapplication for aid 
  • Be aware of the institution’s refund procedures 
  • Be aware of the institution’s policy for satisfactory academic progress