Leave of Absence

Students must be registered for any regular semester or a summer term if required by the program during which a degree requirement is completed or university facilities are used unless on an official leave of absence. Upon written request to the student's dean's office, a student will be allowed up to one academic year leave of absence. Leave of absence beyond one academic year may be granted in cases of substantiated illness or military service. Students who wish to take a leave of absence from the university must submit their Request for Leave of Absence.

  • A student who is on leave and has borrowed Federal and or private loans may be required to begin repayment while on leave. If leave is granted, a letter of authorized leave of absence is issued to the student and a copy included in the student's record.
  • The period of authorized leave of absence is counted as a part of the time allowed for completion of degree requirements. Students may not complete any degree requirements in any semester for which they have been granted a leave of absence. Students must be registered in the semester in which the final degree requirements are completed, as well as in the preceding semester.

Medical Leave of Absence

Sometimes a student may need to interrupt his or her studies for medical reasons. The university can assist a student who is deciding on taking a medical leave and advise him or her about the necessary steps for successful return. A student's request for leave of absence for medical reasons must be reviewed by Student Health Services or its designee. University of New England also reserves the right to require an involuntary medical leave of absence if it determines that a student's continued enrollment would create a significant risk to the health and safety of the student or others.


Reinstatement to the university after a leave of absence will require written communication from the student's official UNE email stating they wish to be reinstated as a student for a given term. In some cases if leave exceeds allotted leave time the student will need to contact Admissions to complete a re-admission application. If a re-admission is required this will change the student's catalog year and possibly their degree requirements.

Medical Leave of Absence Reinstatement

A student seeking to re-enroll after a medical leave must demonstrate to the university that the student's health permits successful completion of studies. Documentation needed to support this finding will be determined by Student Health Services or its designee, but will generally include information from the student's clinician as well as an assessment by Student Health Services or its designee. The decision whether to permit a student to re-enroll is in the sole discretion of the university.

University Withdrawal

Students who wish to withdraw from the university must submit their Request for Withdrawal from the University. A request for withdrawal or leave is effective on the date it is received in the appropriate office; charges are canceled in accordance with the university's published refund schedule, based on both the student program and the effective date of the student's leave of absence or withdrawal. Go to "Additional Information" under the student program for the specific policy."  Mere absence from class does not reduce financial obligations or guarantee that final grades will not be recorded.