Become part of the largest and most trusted segment of the health care workforce. At UNE, our nursing instruction utilizes a variety of innovative teaching strategies, including skill-building in a state-of-the-art Simulation and Innovation Center. As a comprehensive health sciences university, we emphasize interprofessional education, so you learn to work as part of a health care team. And with the highest three-year (2016-2018) average for NCLEX-RN first-time pass rates in the state of Maine, we are confident that you will emerge from our program with the training and experience you need to start making a difference in patients’ lives.
The University of New England's Nursing Program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).
The program has also been approved by the Maine State Board of Nursing.
Why UNE for Nursing
As a UNE Nursing student, you’ll enjoy a unique bi-campus experience, completing your first two years on our coastal Biddeford Campus in a traditional undergraduate setting and spending your second two years on the Portland Campus, situated close to Greater Portland’s hospitals, health agencies, and community-based organizations.
- Study abroad opportunities
- State-of-the-art Interprofessional Simulation and Innovation Center
- NCLEX-RN licensing exam pass rate above national average since 2013
- Service learning opportunities
- Part of a comprehensive health sciences university recognized internationally for interprofessional collaborative practice
- Support for student-athletes
Providing a firm liberal arts foundation, UNE’s nursing program will help you develop essential critical thinking and communication skills as well as theoretical, evidence-based knowledge of nursing science. And with more than 550 hours of hands-on learning, you will be well on your way to a fulfilling career in professional nursing. As a nurse, you may work in a variety of settings, including:
- Acute care (hospitals)
- Primary care
- Long-term care facilities
- Public and private schools
- Federal, state, and local health departments
- Home health care
- Accountable care organizations
Whether you have a specific career goal in mind or a vague idea of the field that interests you, the Office of Career Services is here to help you plan your next step.
Expected rate of nursing job growth from 2016 to 2026, with 438,100 new nursing positions
UNE is the top provider of health professionals in Maine
The School of Nursing is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing and approved by the Maine State Board of Nursing
EXAMPLES OF AVAILABLE COURSES
As a Nursing student, you will explore the domains of geriatrics, pediatrics, obstetrics, mental health, and more. The following are just some examples of the exciting courses that you will take:
- Adult Health
- Maternal/Child Nursing
- Evidenced-Based Practice
- Health Assessment
- Medical Surgical Nursing
- Mental Health Nursing
- Community Health Nursing
- Older Adult Health
- Nursing Leadership
- Transitions to Practice
Whether you’re practicing basic skills on fellow nursing students, learning emergency medical techniques with life-like simulation mannequins, or caring for patients in clinical practice settings, in UNE’s Nursing program, you’re always learning by doing.
Our Service Learning Program enables you to serve in communities with some of society’s most vulnerable populations.care for vulnerable populations in our community. You may work with a variety of agencies and nonprofits, including:
- Homeless Health Outreach
- Partners for World Health
- Cumberland County Jail
- Boys and Girls Clubs
- Southern Maine Area Agency on Aging
- Maine Access Immigrant Network
- Prepare for modern, team-based care in UNE’s Center for Excellence in Collaborative Education.
- Work with students in a wide range of different health professions programs to provide quality, patient-centered care.
- Reap the personal and professional benefits of graduating from one of only a handful of private universities with a comprehensive health care mission.
See the World
Unlike other nursing programs, we make it possible for you to spend a semester abroad — in fact, we encourage it. Choose from our programs in Morocco or Spain. Both offer lab sciences courses that will keep you on track for your nursing degree. Other short term immersion experiences are available, including faculty-led trips to places such as Mexico, Italy, Iceland, Cuba, and Kenya; medical mission trips organized by the (IMM)UNE Club; and the unique Health Care Immersion Experience in Ghana.
Interested in studying abroad? Make a plan with your advisor.