If you already hold a bachelor’s degree and feel that the field of nursing is your calling, UNE’s 16-month Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing program will build on that foundation and will immediately engage you in nursing content, immersing you in evidence-based nursing science and hands-on clinical experiences. Through 550+ hours of experiential learning in hospitals, clinics, community settings, and in nursing skills laboratories in our state-of-the-art simulation center, you will develop the skills and expertise you need to pass the NCLEX-RN exam and become part of the largest and most trusted segment of the health care workforce.
The University of New England's Nursing Program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).
The program has also been approved by the Maine State Board of Nursing.
If you’d like to apply for this program, you should use the Centralized Application Service for Nursing Programs (NursingCAS).
Why UNE for Nursing
UNE’s School of Nursing is part of a comprehensive health sciences university recognized internationally for interprofessional, collaborative practice. By working with graduate students and faculty across the health sciences, you are uniquely prepared for modern, team-based health care.
- State-of-the-art Interprofessional Simulation and Innovation Center
- Situated close to Greater Portland’s hospitals, health agencies, and community-based organizations
- NCLEX-RN licensing exam pass rate above the national average since 2013
- Upstream Practicums in Nursing Program for increased focus on community health nursing
- Global travel opportunities
- Student Nurses Association Club
Emphasizing clinical reasoning and judgment, understanding of health and human functioning, expertise in care and therapeutics, and knowledge of health care resources, UNE’s Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing program prepares you for one of the world’s most rewarding careers.
As a nurse, you may work in a variety of settings, including:
- Acute care (hospitals)
- Primary care
- Long-term care facilities
- Public and private schools
- Federal, state, and local health departments
- Home health care
- Accountable care organizations
Whether you have a specific career goal in mind or a vague idea of the field that interests you, the Office of Career Services is here to help you plan your next step.
Expected rate of nursing job growth from 2016 to 2026, with 438,100 new nursing positions
UNE is the top provider of health professionals in Maine
The School of Nursing is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing and approved by the Maine State Board of Nursing.
EXAMPLES OF AVAILABLE COURSES
As a Nursing student, you will explore the domains of geriatrics, pediatrics, obstetrics, mental health, and more. The following are just some examples of the exciting courses that you will take:
- Maternal/Child Nursing
- Evidenced-Based Practice
- Health Assessment
- Medical Surgical Nursing
- Mental Health Nursing
- Community Health Nursing
- Older Adult Health
- Nursing Leadership
- Transitions to Practice
For general questions or questions related to curriculum and coursework, contact: Debra Kramlich, PhD., RN, CNE, CCRN-K, assistant professor and assistant director for A.B.S.N. education at email@example.com.
Whether you’re practicing basic skills on fellow nursing students, learning emergency medical techniques with high fidelity patient simulators, or caring for people in clinical practice settings, in UNE’s Nursing program, you’re always learning by doing.
Our Service Learning Program enables you to serve in communities with some of society’s most vulnerable populations. You may work with a variety of agencies and nonprofits, including:
- Homeless Health Outreach
- Partners for World Health
- Cumberland County Jail
- Boys and Girls Clubs
- Southern Maine Area Agency on Aging
- Maine Access Immigrant Network
- Prepare for modern, team-based health care models in UNE’s Center for Excellence in Collaborative Education
- Work with students in a wide range of different health professions programs to provide quality, patient-centered care
- Reap the personal and professional benefits of graduating from one of only a handful of private universities with a comprehensive health care mission
See the World
A critical component of learning to provide health care is the development of cross-cultural sensitivity. We encourage your participation in medical mission trips organized by the (IMM)UNE Club and the unique Cross Cultural Health Care Immersion Experience in Ghana, where you engage in direct health services, interprofessional collaboration, community education, and academic and cross-cultural exchange in the twin cities of Sekondi and Takoradi.
Interested in studying abroad? Make a plan with your advisor.