If this is an Emergency dial 911

You may also call UNE Security at Ext. 366.

Emergency Notification Sign Up

Emergency Preparedness for the Off-Campus Student

Who is responsible for providing emergency shelter, food, etc. in a crisis?

Emergency preparedness for the on-campus resident student is usually managed by the University. During a crisis, when normal campus living activities are disrupted, UNE would typically provide shelter, food and sanitation facilities, etc., to those who live on campus. For those of us who reside away from campus, the responsibility for our basic needs rests with ourselves and the city or town where we live.

What emergency supplies should I collect and store in the event of an emergency?

FEMA, the Federal Emergency management Agency, recommends storing and maintaining the following basic supplies for every household:

  • Three-day supply of non-perishable food
  • Three-day supply of water - one gallon of water per person, per day
  • Portable, battery-powered radio or television and extra batteries
  • Flashlight and extra batteries
  • First aid kit and manual
  • Sanitation and hygiene items (moist towelettes and toilet paper)
  • Matches and waterproof container
  • Whistle
  • Extra clothing
  • Kitchen accessories and cooking utensils, including a can opener
  • Photocopies of credit and identification cards
  • Cash and coins
  • Special needs items, such as prescription medications, eye glasses, contact lens solutions, and hearing aid batteries
  • Items for infants, such as formula, diapers, bottles, wipes and pacifiers
  • Other items to meet your unique family n

During the winter months, you must think about warmth. It is possible that you will not have heat. Think about your clothing and bedding supplies. Be sure to include one complete change of clothing and shoes per person, including:

  • Jacket or coat
  • Long pants
  • Long sleeve shirt
  • Sturdy shoes
  • Hat, mittens, and scarf
  • Sleeping bag or warm blanket (per person)
How will I be informed of an emergency?

Almost every local television and radio station provides emergency information when the need arises. For our area, the following media outlets provide up-to-date information ranging from weather advisories to emergency shelter locations.

TV Stations

What if I have to leave my home? Where do I find a public shelter?

In Maine, each community is responsible for establishing shelters for its residents and visitors. Usually, the Red Cross staffs and maintains these shelters. During a crisis, local television and radio stations will announce the locations of shelters (see above). Typically, these include schools or other public buildings.

What resources will I find at a shelter? What do I need to bring with me?
  • A shelter will not provide the comforts of a hotel or motel.
  • The shelter is not a medical shelter; only basic first aid will be available. 
  • The Red Cross does not accept responsibility for storing valuable personal property. 
  • Parents are required to be in control of their children at all times.
  • Evacuees needing medical assistance of personal attendants cannot be left unattended. 
  • Shelters are equipped with generators, but they may or may not be air-conditioned. If electrical power is interrupted, portable generators will not be able to keep air conditioners running.

What to Bring

To make your stay at the shelter more comfortable, you should bring:

  • Personal hygiene items
  • Beddings such as cots, air mattresses, blankets, and pillows for your own use
  • Non-perishable snacks and personal meals
  • Extra changes of clothing 
  • Personal items (medications, eyeglasses, hearing aids, flashlights, toothbrushes, battery-operated radios, special diet foods)
  • Baby supplies: baby food, formula, juice, diapers, wipes, stroller, portable crib or playpen 
  • Driver's license and other identification
  • Cash 

What not to Bring

The following are not permitted in an emergency shelter:

  • Pets of any type are not allowed in Red Cross shelters. (The only exception is a Pet Friendly Shelter.)
  • Firearms or explosive devices 
  • Intoxicating or alcoholic beverages 
  • Illegal drugs

How to Check In

You must register at the time you enter the shelter. The head of the family may register for all members.

Before Leaving Your Home

  • Have a good meal
  • Turn off electricity at the fuse box (to prevent possible fire)
  • Turn off water at the outside line
  • Turn off gas for gas water heaters (to prevent possible fire)
What are my other options if I choose not to go to a shelter?

There are other options. However, bear in mind that unlike a public shelter, staying at a hotel will be at your own expense. There are numerous motels and hotels in York County and Cumberland County and we’ve listed a few for you. Make sure to call ahead to be certain they have power, running water, and food available.

Biddeford Area Hotels and Motels

Comfort Suites Biddeford
(207) 294-6464

Biddeford Motel
(207) 284-8924 

Waves Ocean Front Resort
(207) 934-4949 

Edgewater Motel
(207) 934-2221 

Super 8 Sanford/ Kennebunkport 
(207) 324-8823 

Rodeway Inn
(207) 282-5569 

Ocean Walk Hotel
(207) 934-1716

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
(207) 286-9600 

Hampton Inn
(207) 282-7222 

Beau Rivage Motel
(800) 939-4668 

Portland Area Hotels and Motels

Holiday Inn Portland West
(800) 356-3584

Howard Johnson Portland
(207) 774-5861

Inn At St. John
(207) 773-6481

The Percy Inn
(207) 871-7638

West End Inn
(207) 772-1377

Hilton Garden Inn
(207) 828-1117

Hilton Garden Inn Portland 
(207) 780-0780

Portland Harbor Hotel
(207) 775-9090

Clarion Hotel Portland
(207) 774-5611 

Super 8 Motel Westbrook
(207) 854-1881

Motel 6
(207) 775-0111

Inn On Carleton
(207) 775-1910

Holiday Inn by the Bay
(800) 356-3584

LaQuinta Inn & Suites Portland
(207) 871-0611

Inn by the Sea
(207) 799-3134

Back Cove Inn
(207) 772-2557

Embassy Suites Hotel
(207) 775-2200

Travelodge Portland
(207) 774-6101

Wild Iris Inn
(207) 775-0224

The Danforth
(207) 879-8755

Eastland Park Hotel
(207) 775-5411

The Portland Regency Hotel
(207) 774-4200

Pomegranate Inn
(207) 772-1006

Inn at Portland
(207) 775-3711