What to do in a Hazardous Spill emergency
Hazardous spills include chemical, biological and radiological materials.
- Notify others working in the area of the spill and evacuate the area immediately.
- Close the doors leading to the spill area and restrict access to the spill area.
- Assist contaminated persons to a safety shower or eyewash station. Avoid contaminating yourself.
- Dial 911 and then ext. 366 for the Department of Safety and Security to report the spill and location. Report any medical emergencies; also report if the spill has entered the air, ground, surface water, or sanitary or storm sewers.
- Immediately notify your supervisor.
- Only members of a hazardous materials response team are authorized to clean up hazardous material spills.
- After the cleanup is complete, an incident report of how the spill occurred should be written to Risk Management.