If you are fascinated by human movement and have a desire to improve the lives of others, UNE’s Applied Exercise Science (AES) major will give you the tools needed to attain your professional dreams. Through a combination of classroom learning, research, internships, and hands-on lab activities, you will learn to use exercise to help others prevent disease, rehabilitate injuries, and enhance athletic performance. It’s the ideal foundation for a career as an exercise science professional or for graduate study in a variety of different health science fields.
Why UNE for Applied Exercise Science
Our department’s close working relationship with UNE’s medical school opens the door to fascinating opportunities, including courses in gross anatomy taught by exercise scientists. With access to UNE’s other health professions students and faculty, you’ll learn how to work effectively in collaborative, interprofessional health care teams.
- Focus on clinical application and hands-on learning
- Only program in Maine accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Allied Health Programs and endorsed by the National Strength and Conditioning Association
- Unique breadth of research opportunities
- Key opportunities for professional development and exposure
- Exceptional rate of employment/acceptance to graduate school
Meet Nikko, an Applied Exercise Science major at UNE
With your knowledge of anatomy, exercise science, and athletic training; real-world experiences from internships; and extensive hands-on lab work, you’ll be equipped to perform pre-participatory screenings, fitness testing, exercise prescription, and exercise leadership for healthy, health-compromised, and athletic populations.
Our graduates have pursued many rewarding careers, including:
- Exercise Physiologist
- Cardiac Rehabilitation Specialist
- Non-Invasive Cardiology Technician
- Strength and Conditioning Coach
- Corporate Health and Fitness Specialist
- Fitness Director
- Personal Trainer
- Wellness Coordinator
of Applied Exercise Science majors from the Class of 2018 were employed or continuing higher education within six months of graduation
in Maine for getting a job
Student Financial Services
One of the most important considerations when committing to a college or university is cost. We work with you and your family to help make your education affordable by pricing our tuition competitively and offering financial assistance.
There are many ways you can navigate this major. The following are some examples of the exciting courses that you can take:
- Human Gross Anatomy
- Fitness Evaluation & Prescription
- Concepts of Strength & Conditioning
- Lead ECG Interpretation
- Clinical Diagnostic GXT
- Exercise Management for Chronic Disease & Disability
- Metabolism & Bioenergetics of Sport Nutrition
You may apply through our Early Assurance Program to our Doctor of Physical Therapy or Physician Assistant programs for graduate study.
We give you real-life, hands-on experiences in our custom-designed labs and teaching spaces and in your internships. Whether you’re conducting your own research, getting on-the-job training, or presenting at a regional or national conference, Applied Exercise Science makes doing the most important part of learning.
- Harold Alfond Forum sports complex with cutting-edge equipment, training spaces, classrooms, and labs
- Campus Center recreational complex, home to BodyWISE clinical training program
- State-of-the-art health sciences center
- Motion Analysis Lab
- Interprofessional Simulation and Innovation Center
A wide array of enriching internship opportunities exists at sites including:
- Turning Point Cardiac Rehabilitation & Prevention
- Southern Maine Health Care – Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation
- Spurling Fitness
- Quest Fitness
- Saco Bay Physical Therapy
- Massabesic Health Resources – Physical Therapy
- Southern Maine Health Care – Performance Center
See the world
Get the cultural immersion experience of your dreams while staying on track with your lab requirements. We offer semester-long studies in Spain and Morocco that provide lab sciences as well as humanities courses that fulfill your core requirements. Or opt for one of our shorter, faculty-led travel courses, which will take you to Costa Rica, Iceland, Ghana, Italy, or many other remarkable locations.
Interested in studying abroad? Make a plan with your advisor.