Put your passion for protecting the environment on a sound business foundation as you prepare for a career in the new green economy. Explore and learn on our unique coastal campus, situated on 540 acres, including coastline, riverbanks, woodlands, wetlands, dunes, and vernal pools. Through highly collaborative and interdisciplinary study, you’ll discover how to bring together environmental, social, and financial concepts as we work together to create a more sustainable world.
Why UNE for Sustainability and Business
Our tagline says it all: “Innovation for a Healthier Planet.” Our commitment to the environment and our dedication to out-of-the-box thinking makes UNE the ideal place to earn your degree in Sustainability and Business. With our electric car charging stations, sustainable landscaping, green living wall, Edible Campus Initiative, and Green Revolving Fund, we celebrate a University-wide commitment to green practices.
- Green Learning Community for first-year students
- Marine Science Center with aquaponics, aquaculture, and fisheries labs
- Kelp farming research
- Makerspace for innovative ideation and prototyping
Perhaps you’re an aspiring green entrepreneur, or maybe you’re interested in the management of corporate sustainability practices. Wherever your aspirations take you, you’ll graduate with the knowledge, internship experiences, analytical skills, and ethical grounding you need to have a successful career combining business and sustainability. Relevant professions include:
- Chief Sustainability Officer
- Green Business and Corporate Manager
- LEED Certified Construction Manager
- Green or Sustainable Entrepreneur
- Sustainability Program Developer
- Environmental Public Affairs Officer
- Community Economic Development Manager
Whether you have a specific career goal in mind or a vague idea of the field that interests you, the Office of Career Services is here to help you plan your next step.
of graduates employed or enrolled in grad school within one year of graduation
(per 2016-2018 graduate surveys)
number of times UNE was ranked among the most environmentally responsible colleges
The Princeton Review (2017, 2018, 2019)
Student Financial Services
One of the most important considerations when committing to a college or university is cost. We work with you and your family to help make your education affordable by pricing our tuition competitively and offering financial assistance.
Examples of available courses
There are many ways you can navigate this major. The following are some examples of the exciting courses that the Sustainability and Business major offers:
- Sustainability and Ecological Restoration
- Climate Change Adaptation: Planning and Policy
- Environmental Movements and Social Change
- Ecological Economics
- Management of Nonprofits
- Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Green learning community
First-year Business, Communications, Sport and Recreation Management, and Marine Entrepreneurship majors are able to participate on a competitive basis in the Green Learning Community (GLC). The GLC is an intentional community of professors and first-year students dedicated to studying human relations to the environment through many ways of knowing. You will study environmental issues through the integrated lenses of biology, literature, environmental studies, and economics.
The Sustainability and Business major at UNE provides hands-on learning, both in and out of the classroom, to give you real-world experiences and the confidence to make a difference.
- Use the latest technologies in the Makerspace, such as 3D printers and CNC routers
- Apply learning to actual environmental problems as part of the first-year Green Learning Community
- Conduct research on sustainable products, such as aquaponically grown vegetables and farmed shitake mushrooms
- Participate in UNE’s Student Innovation Challenge, a University-wide idea-stage competition
- Intern on campus at UNE’s Office of Sustainability or off campus at various aquaculture farms and fisheries or other institutions, including:
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- Gulf of Maine Research Institute
- Manomet U360: Economic System
- New England Aquarium
- Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences
- Wells National Estuarine Reserve
See the world
Travel the globe to learn about environmental concerns and — possible solutions — in other geographic areas. Learn about human impact on the rainforests of Costa Rica, explore the unique ecosystems of Iceland, or work on environmental and community development issues in Kenya. Other trips include excursions to Mexico, Cuba, Ireland, and other exciting countries. If you would prefer a longer cultural immersion experience, we offer semesters abroad in Spain, France, Morocco, and Iceland.
Interested in studying abroad? Make a plan with your advisor.