Wake up to 540 acres of wetlands and woodlands. A Biological Sciences major’s dream, our seaside campus is the perfect setting for your studies. In addition to the abundant biological diversity found just steps from your residence hall, we provide access to all the resources of a comprehensive health sciences university. With an unmatched emphasis on undergraduate research and a robust internship program, the Biological Sciences major will set you apart in the eyes of employers and graduate schools alike.
Why UNE for Biological Sciences
Situated within a comprehensive health sciences university, our program gives you all the advantages that come with proximity to our colleges of medicine, pharmacy, and dental medicine and our health professions programs. And as a Biological Sciences major, you’ll relish the opportunity to explore our seaside campus.
- Choice of two concentrations Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology or Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
- Uncommon breadth of student research opportunities
- Internships foron-the-job experience
- State-of-the-art Marine Science Center
- University-owned research island
- Full array of health professions faculty and resources
Many careers in the biological sciences require specialized graduate study, and UNE’s Biological Sciences major lays a solid foundation for advanced coursework in the sciences or human/animal medicine. The program prepares you through coursework, labs, research, and internships for a wide range of fascinating careers that require a bachelor’s degree.
Our graduates have pursued many exciting careers, including:
- Medical or Clinical Researcher
- Pharmaceutical Development/Sales
- Conservation Administrator
- Science Instrumentation Technician
- Wildlife Management Administrator
- Computational Biologist
- Public Health Official
Whether you have a specific career goal in mind or a vague idea of the field that interests you, the Office of Career Services is here to help you plan your next step.
of graduates employed or enrolled in grad school within one year of graduation
(per 2016-2018 graduate surveys)
in Maine for getting a job
Student Financial Services
One of the most important considerations when committing to a college or university is cost. We work with you and your family to help make your education affordable by pricing our tuition competitively and offering financial assistance.
- Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology
- Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Examples of available courses
The following are some examples of the exciting courses that the Biological Sciences major offers:
- Animal/Behavioral Ecology
- Medicinal Plant Biology
- Conservation Genetics
We even have a 4+1 B.S./M.S. track that lets you complete your undergraduate and master’s degrees in just five years. You may also apply for Early Assurance to UNE’s graduate programs in medicine, dental medicine, physical therapy, and physician assistant.
If your goal is to be a high school or middle school science teacher, you may enroll in secondary education courses at UNE to meet the standards for State of Maine certification (grades 7-12) upon graduation.
Apply Now or Request Information
- Conduct research as early as freshman year
- Perform paid research over the summer
- Engage in cross-disciplinary research with faculty from other programs, such as Environmental Studies, Marine Sciences, and the Center for Excellence for Neurosciences
- Present at conferences and publish your findings
Our students have completed internships at many exciting sites, including:
- Animal Medical Associates
- Center for Wildlife
- BBI Pharmaceutical
- Partners for World Health
- Mainely Kidz Physical Therapy
See the world
Study Biological Sciences on the other side of the world by taking part in our Global Education Programs.
Experience firsthand the earth’s biodiversity by participating in faculty-led travel courses to places such as Belize, Panama, Costa Rica, Italy, Kenya, and the Galapagos Islands. Or if you would prefer a longer cultural immersion, you may spend an entire semester in one of our programs in Spain, France, Iceland, and Morocco.
Interested in studying abroad? Make a plan with your advisor.