Are you passionate about majoring in English but have been told it will limit your career prospects? Check your fears at the door. UNE’s Bachelor of Arts in English focuses on the highly transferable skills acquired as a student of literature: command of language, analytical skills, critical thinking, and the capacity to understand multiple perspectives. Combined with internships, research, and study abroad experiences, you will be highly valued by many fields that prize people who can communicate well, solve problems, assimilate information quickly, and work well with others.
Why UNE for English
With faculty specialties in literature and health, law and humanities, creative writing, digital humanities, and more, the English program will expose you to a wide range of topics and genres.
- Flexible curriculum, allowing for double majors and minors
- Unique HuMed program to prepare for medical school while pursuing your passion for English
- Instruction in digital literacies, culminating in the creation of a personal ePortfolio
- Impressive archival collections for research and creative projects
- Opportunity to work as a Writing Fellow in our peer tutoring program
- Intriguing internships
- Study abroad opportunities
The unique skill set of an English major is far more sought after than most people realize. As academic training requirements in many fields are becoming increasingly specific, employers are eager to find candidates who are excellent communicators, creative and analytic thinkers, and critical readers.
An English major is a gateway to numerous professions, including:
- Project Manager
- News Reporter
- Television Producer
Whether you have a specific career goal in mind or a vague idea of the field that interests you, the Office of Career Services is here to help you plan your next step.
of graduates employed or enrolled in grad school within one year of graduation
(per 2016-2018 graduate surveys)
in Maine for getting a job
There are many ways you can navigate the English major.
Examples of available courses
The following are some examples of the exciting courses that the English major offers:
- Law and Literature
- Reading and Writing in Digital Environments
- Victorian Monsters
- Writing and Women’s Health
- Fiction Writing Workshop
- Animals, Literature, and Culture
- Narrative Medicine
If you are an exceptional student, you have the opportunity to conduct high-quality undergraduate research under the guidance of department faculty through our English Honors Program.
The English major emphasizes real-world learning, providing you with experiences that will set you apart in numerous professional fields. At UNE, we believe in learning by doing.
- Participate in the creation of student-run publications
- Get on-the-job experience as a peer tutor in our Writing Fellows program
- Conduct research or produce creative projects to present at local, regional, and national venues
- Visit UNE’s DigiSpace to develop digital literacies and create new digital content for your ePortfolio
- Create podcasts
- English Department
- Maine Women Writers Collection
- Office of Communications and Marketing
- Print and Digital Publications
- TV and Radio Stations
- Politicians' Offices
- Law Offices
See the world
Literature is the key to understanding the human condition. It uncovers universal truths but also reveals the deep diversity of our experiences. Our global approach to literature is enhanced by many opportunities to study abroad and gain exposure to a multitude of cultures. Choose to spend a semester in Spain, France, Iceland, or on UNE’s own international campus in Morocco. Or choose from several shorter faculty-led travel courses that will take you to places such as Ireland, Mexico, Italy, Cuba, and Kenya.
Interested in studying abroad? Make a plan with your advisor.