May I talk with a current student about UNE College of Osteopathic Medicine?
If there is ever an emergency, how can my spouse/partner/family contact me?
What do I need for books? When should I get them?
Do I need to have diagnostic equipment before I arrive?
How can I find a place to live?
What do I need for health immunizations? Do I have to have a health history and physical?
Am I required to have health insurance? Does the University offer health insurance?
How can I get involved in life at UNE? What clubs and organizations are available to join?
What University activities and events can my spouse/partner and/or children participate in?
Does the University have child care or elder care?
Do I have to go to orientation?
In what orientation activities can my spouse/partner and/or children be involved?
What resources does the library have?
What does my general services fee cover?
What do I do if I have to miss a class or an exam?
How do I get an electronic mail account?
How do I get a campus mailbox?
How would you describe the areas that surround UNE?
What is there to do in southern Maine? What is the night scene like in the area?

Q: May I talk with a current student about UNE College of Osteopathic Medicine?
 As an incoming or prospective student, you may have questions you would like to ask our current students. We would be happy to put you in contact with one of our students. However, University policy does not allow us to give anyone the telephone number of a current student. Instead, we will have a current student contact you. You may contact the COM Office of Constituent Services at (207) 602-2329 or unecomadmissions@une.edu. We will take your name and email address, and have a current student contact you.

Q: If there is ever an emergency, how can my spouse/partner/family contact me?
: Your spouse/partner/family can contact the COM Office of Constituent Services at (207) 602-2329. Depending on the nature of the emergency, our staff will either locate you in your class or bring a message to your note service box.

Q: What do I need for books? When should I get them?
: This information will be sent to you during the summer. 

Q: Do I need to have diagnostic equipment before I arrive?
 Purchasing diagnostic equipment prior to your arrival is not necessary. There will be an opportunity to examine and purchase diagnostic equipment from vendors who come to campus. This will occur within the first couple weeks of classes. Additional information will be posted as it becomes available on the class webpage.

Q: How can I find a place to live?
 You can get information from the Residence Education and Housing Office, located in East Residence Hall. You may contact the office at housing-office@une.edu or (207) 602-2272. A listing of local properties for rent from landlords/homeowners and realtors is available online on the Residence Education and Housing page. You are welcome to come in to the housing office and ask to see the listing at any time during the year. The listing is regularly updated.

Other information can be found on the Internet at the following addresses:

Q: What do I need for health immunizations? Do I have to have a health history and physical?
 You are sent immunization forms upon your acceptance. These forms must be completed and returned to the University prior to classes beginning. All information must be provided on the University form; information supplied by any other means (e.g., faxes, email, separate pieces of paper) will not be considered acceptable and may be returned to you. You will not be able to attend classes until you have completed the immunization requirements.

Health history and physical evaluations do not need to be completed before your arrival unless it is a specific program requirement. Some programs will require a health history and physical prior to your clinical rotations. You will receive more information as necessary.

Q: Am I required to have health insurance? Does the University offer health insurance?
 If you are enrolled half-time or greater, you are required by University policy to have health insurance. If you cannot offer proof of comparable coverage, you are required to purchase student health insurance through the University. You may include family members in your student health insurance policy. More information is available from the Student Financial Services.

Q: How can I get involved in life at UNE? What clubs and organizations are available to join?
 Co-curricular activities enhance your academic experience and provide an opportunity for you to demonstrate leadership, gain new experiences, create life balance and meet new people with similar interests. The following are several ways to get connected:

The Student Government Association (SGA), the elected governing body for medical students at the University, recognizes and supports more than 30 clubs and organizations. These clubs and organizations often sponsor guest speakers, tours, conference trips and socials for students interested in a particular area of medicine.

Additionally, there are a number of campus-wide organizations including the International Student Association, Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Transgender and Friends Alliance, Sea Dwellers (SCUBA) and Outing Club. Comedians, coffee house entertainers, concerts and other events are regularly sponsored by the Activities Program Board (APB) on the Biddeford Campus (BC) and the Student Activities Council (SAC) on the Portland Campus (PC). All of these activities are open to you as a graduate or medical student. For more information, contact the Office of Student Activities, (207) 602 2447 (BC), or (207) 221-4269 (PC).

On the Biddeford Campus, the Campus Center houses a swimming pool, hydro-spa, saunas, fitness center, indoor walking/jogging track, racquet ball court and open gym space. A number of health and fitness programs are offered. General access to the Campus Center is free to full-time students, faculty and staff; some specialty classes have a registration fee. For more information, contact the Campus Center at (207) 602-2438.

On the Portland Campus, the Finley Recreation Center offers open gym hours, basketball and volleyball courts, indoor tennis stands, a batting cage, use of the fitness center and step aerobics classes. Fitness assessments, blood pressure measurements and equipment orientations programs are also offered on a regular basis. For more information, contact the Finley Center at (207) 221-4348.

A variety of team and individual recreation, intramural and club sports are open to all members of the University community. These sport programs include, but are not limited to, basketball, volleyball, indoor and outdoor soccer leagues, billiards, table tennis, wally ball tournaments, aerobics, karate and ice skating classes. 

Q: What University activities and events can my spouse/partner and/or children participate in?
 Your family members of all ages may participate in and/or attend most campus activities including special lectures, concerts, movies, holiday programs, comedians and trips. Although most of these events are free, in some cases there is a nominal charge for non-students. In some limited cases, events and programs are for students only. Please call ahead to the specific office, department or organization sponsoring the event to confirm that family members or guests are welcome.

Your spouse or partner is able to purchase an academic year pass to the Campus Center (BC) for $35 per month, and to the Finley Center (PC) for $15 per month. Occasional guest passes are available at both campuses with a variety of fee options. Participation in the intramural program is also open to spouses and partners; a small registration fee is required. For more information, contact the Office of Recreational, Intramural and Club Sports (BC) at (207) 602-2499, or the Finley Center (PC) at (207) 221-4348.

Q: Does the University have child care or elder care?
The University does not have child care or elder care on either campus, and for legal reasons cannot recommend specific facilities. However, we have done our best to collect information about area placement services and resources that will help you find the most fitting care for your child/children or parent(s). Your orientation folder will include information about area child care placement services. We also recommend that you talk with current students, faculty and staff who may have children or parents requiring care.

Q: Do I have to go to orientation?
Orientation is mandatory for all new students. We believe the information provided and the interaction you have with students, faculty, and staff is vital to your success. Orientation sessions will focus on introducing you to your academic program and student services. It is also a terrific time to ask questions and acquaint yourself with the University community.

Q: In what orientation activities can my spouse/partner and/or children be involved?
 UNE College of Osteopathic Medicine sponsors a life partner session during orientation to help spouses and partners understand the medical school environment, workload and pressures. This session is co-sponsored with the Orientation Committee. This interactive program provides some insight to the changes, challenges and pleasures that partners and families may experience; structured exercises to facilitate discussion; and an open forum for questions and answers.

Medical student family members, including children, are invited to attend the orientation picnic. All families are invited to participate in the White Coat Ceremony and reception held in early October. Other family-oriented programs for medical students and family members are still in development at this time, but most orientation lunches are open to spouses and partners. There may be a charge for non-students for some events. For more information contact the COM Office of Constituent Services at comsa@une.edu or (207) 602-2329.

Q: What resources does the library have?
A: The University of New England Libraries provide access to over 150,000 volumes and approximately 1,300 current periodical titles. In addition to books and periodicals, a number of videos, CDs and audio cassettes are available. Library services, including an integrated online public access catalog, Internet access stations, bibliographic instruction, reference assistance, online literature searching and interlibrary loan are available to students. Students with valid UNE IDs may borrow materials at either campus library. For more information, contact Barbara Swartzlander, Director of Library Public Services at bswartzlander@une.edu or (207) 602-2363.

Q: What does my general services fee cover?
All students pay a general services fee. This fee covers the following services:

  • Health Center visits (does not include lab work or seeing a specialist)
  • Orientation
  • COM Student Government Association/Clubs and Organizations Graduation
  • Graduation
  • Campus Center (BC) and Finley Recreation Center (PC)
  • Student activities (lectures, social events, trips, etc.)
  • Athletics and intramurals

Q: What do I do if I have to miss a class or an exam?
 For information on this question, consult the Excused Absence Policy in the College of Osteopathic Medicine supplement of the Student Handbook.

Q: How do I get an electronic mail account?
 You are assigned an email account on myUNE, the University's student web portal. During orientation, a mini-training session will be scheduled to provide an overview of the system. An account will be set up following deposits. Your account will stay with you during your years at the University, and will continue as an alumnus.

myUNE also gives you tools to access University announcements, events and activities, course websites, registrar information (registering for classes, checking grades, etc.) and sites for student organizations.

Q: How do I get a campus mailbox?
: For $25 you can rent an on-campus, first class mailbox by visiting the mailroom at the Facilities Building. Because the number of boxes is limited, it is likely you will have to share a box with someone else.

Q: How would you describe the areas that surround UNE?
 The University of New England's Biddeford Campus sits on the western bank of the Saco River where it meets the Atlantic. The neighborhoods around the University Campus are referred to as the coastal communities and include Hills Beach, Biddeford Pool and Fortunes Rocks. Many of these homes are seasonal or summer cottages but are often rented by students through the off-season. Downtown Biddeford and Saco are less than five miles up river. Both cities are a mix of commercial, industrial, retail and residential buildings, as well as many single, double and triple family homes. Family-owned restaurants far outnumber franchised or chain restaurants. Shopping centers that sit at the edge of Biddeford near Exit 32 include a Wal-Mart Supercenter, Target, Kohl's, Home Depot, Staples, Best Buy, TJ Maxx, and more. For more information contact the Biddeford/Saco Chamber of Commerce at info@biddefordsacochamber.org or (207) 282-1567.

Old Orchard Beach, another summer vacation community with a thriving boardwalk, lies just north of Saco, and the renowned historic communities of Kennebunk and Kennebunkport are only a few miles south of the Biddeford Campus along the Atlantic coast. All five of these communities boast miles of public and private beaches, and students from the Biddeford Campus take up short-term residency in all these cities and towns. For more information contact the Kennebunk/Kennebunkport Chamber of Commerce at (207) 967-0857 or the Old Orchard Beach Chamber of Commerce at (207) 934-2500.

The University of New England's Portland Campus is nestled in a residential area three miles from downtown Portland, Maine's largest city. Many of the campus buildings have historic designations, and the architecture style is traditional Georgian. Many large, old traditional family homes surround the campus, some having been converted to multi-family apartments.

Stevens Avenue is known as the only street in Portland where you can go to kindergarten, elementary school, high school, college, and graduate school without leaving the street. A small business district exists on Stevens Avenue in addition to the large number of schools. Nearby Forest Avenue is lined with small businesses, restaurants and retail stores.

For more information contact the Convention and Visitor's Bureau of Greater Portland at (207) 772- 2811 or the Chamber of Commerce of the Greater Portland Area at (207) 772-2811.

There are a number of excellent online resource guides for the entire state including the official State of Maine site, MNetwork, Maine's complete online community, and the Maine Guide site.

Most of the newspapers covering the southern Maine area host online versions and resource guides and can be found at the addresses below:

Q: What is there to do in southern Maine? What is the night scene like in the area?
The greater Portland area offers all the cultural, entertainment, dining and professional sports opportunities of a much larger city while still maintaining a sense of history and community. The UNE Portland Campus sits in a residential area on the north side of town, and the Biddeford Campus is less than 15 miles from downtown Portland.

There is a rich selection of cultural and entertainment offerings at the Portland Performing Arts Center, the State Theater and Merrill Auditorium. These theaters and others regularly feature symphonic concerts and ballets, theater performances, national touring concerts and a variety of other shows. Outdoor performances are held around the city during the summer months. The Portland Museum of Art (free on Friday nights), the Children's Museum of Maine and the University of Southern Maine's (USM) Planetarium are only a few of the museums and galleries in the greater Portland area.

Portland's Old Port district is an excellent example of urban renaissance and is now home to countless galleries, art and clothing boutiques, bookstores, restaurants, comedy clubs, taverns and dance clubs. Live coffeehouse entertainment is available every night of the week. The Old Port district continues to grow - new businesses and restaurants open almost every week.

The Biddeford/Saco area supports a community theater, an amusement park, two water parks and a number of summer festivals and art fairs. There are a limited number of taverns, sports bars or dance clubs in this area. During the summer months, Old Orchard Beach's boardwalk, beaches and open amusement park area attract vacationers, residents and students alike.

During the summer, you can break out the popcorn and Cracker Jacks for a double-header of the Portland Sea Dogs, the Boston Red Sox's farm team at Hadlock Field. And when the snow begins to fall, you can cheer on the Portland Pirates, the AHL team for the NHL Washington Capitals at the Cumberland County Civic Center.

If you prefer individual athletic pursuits, then the opportunities in southern Maine for canoeing and kayaking, mountain and trail biking, hiking and camping, Nordic and alpine skiing, snowshoeing, bird watching, fishing, hunting, or just spending time on the beaches are sure to please you. Both campuses are only an hour's drive from the mountains and minutes from numerous rivers and lakes. The Biddeford Campus sits on the shores of the Atlantic, and the Portland Campus is only three miles from Portland's waterfront.

The Portland Press Herald's weekly entertainment planner GO! is the most comprehensive source for exploring cultural and entertainment opportunities. The Journal Tribune's (York County's regional newspaper) entertainment section is another source of entertainment information.