The University of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine funds approximately 20 medical student research projects through the Peter Morgane Research Fellowship (formerly known as the Dean’s Research Fellowship) program. Research projects can have a basic science, community health, clinical, or osteopathic orientation. All current UNE COM students who are matriculated at the time of the award and in good academic standing are welcome to apply.
Funding includes up to $3,000 for an allowance stipend and up to $1,000 for supplies. The research can be conducted at UNE or at other locations nationally/globally. Supply funds are ONLY available to researchers at or affiliated with UNE (i.e., internal mentors).
- Every applicant must identify a primary mentor to assist in the preparation of his/her application. The primary mentor can be a faculty member from any UNE college (internal mentor) or a professional from another institution with adequate research/training experience (external mentor). If a co-mentor (internal or external) is identified, the co-mentor will share the responsibilities listed below with the primary mentor and also needs to provide all documents listed below.
- The mentor responsibilities include: Sponsoring and supervising the proposed research project, including providing the necessary resources for the project; assisting the applicant with the application process (but not writing the proposal for the applicant); ensuring that the funded applicant completes all required training as per the instructions; stays on track with the research project; and aids in the preparation of required research presentation at the UNE COM Research Forum. Time must be allotted for the award recipient to prepare the progress report (and approved by the mentor), and time to attend the required keynote address at the UNE COM Research Forum as per the instructions.
- Each mentor needs to provide a letter indicating a willingness to supervise the applicant, the availability of space and resources needed to conduct the proposed research and the training/experience the student will obtain during the fellowship. The letter should also indicate whether the applicant will be under direct supervision of the mentor or a designee.
- Each mentor needs to fill out and sign the attached “Peter Morgane Student Research Fellowship Mentor’s Agreement” and provide a recent CV or NIH Biosketch with the application.
- Note that all communications to each applicant regarding the status of their application or fellowship (during the award period) will be visibly cc’d to their mentor(s).
- All qualified applications will be forwarded to the UNE COM Committee on Research and Scholarship for critical/competitive review.
- The online application becomes available in late fall with a deadline submission in early winter. Applicants are notified of the acceptance/rejection of their fellowship application in early spring.
Due to Covid 19, Peter Morgane Student Research Fellowship applications will not be available for 2021.
If you have questions regarding the fellowship application process please email the chair of the UNE COM Research Committee, Dr. Tamara King at firstname.lastname@example.org.