UNE’s Master of Science in Occupational Therapy (M.S.O.T.) degree program, located in Maine, will prepare you in client-centered critical thinking and clinical excellence for a fulfilling and successful occupational therapy practice. In UNE's Occupational Therapy program, you will be part of a community of scholars and students who are passionate about the transformative power of everyday activities.
The 24-Month M.S.O.T. Experience
During UNE's 24-month Master in OT program, you start with a foundation of theory, therapeutic use of self, functional movement analysis, and occupational analysis. As you progress toward your occupational therapy degree, emphasis and focus are placed on mental health practice; practice with children; rehabilitation, disability, and participation (RDP) with adults and older adults; specific practice skills; and exploration of context, research, and leadership.
You will also complete Level I Fieldwork in the areas of mental health, children and youth, and adults and older adults. After completion of your didactic coursework, you will complete two 12-week Level II Fieldwork rotations, during which you will work alongside OT practitioners addressing clients’ specific occupational needs. You will then complete one rotation in the area of RDP and one in either mental health, children and youth, or another RDP setting.
Then you return to our Portland, Maine campus for a one-week immersion of synthesis, exploration, and exam preparation. Upon successful completion of your coursework and fieldwork, you may take the national OT certification examination.
Why UNE for Occupational Therapy
- You will be supported to succeed in starting your occupational therapy career. The licensure exam pass rate is 99% for UNE OT grads (2017–2019).
- You will experience all areas of OT practice to help you meet the needs of pediatric, adult, and geriatric patients and communities and to develop diverse career options.
- You will learn in state-of-the-art facilities on our Portland, Maine, campus.
- You will have the opportunity to do fieldwork in locations across the country, from Atlanta to Honolulu.
- You will be taught by leading faculty who are performing important occupational therapy research and shaping the way occupational therapy is conceived, taught, and practiced.
- You will learn how to collaborate in today’s team-based health care by training alongside UNE students who are future physicians, nurses, and other health professionals.
UNE Occupational Therapy in Action
Heather Shields '97: Helping People Drive Again
OT Travel Course in Tangier, Morocco
Matthew Capaldo '13: Leadership in Mental Health
UNE OT: Our History and Identity
Earn Your M.S.O.T. in Maine
Students in the UNE M.S.O.T. degree program study on our Portland, Maine campus, a classic New England quad with brick buildings and tall trees. Portland, named “America’s Most Livable City” by Forbes and “Foodiest Small Town in America” by Bon Appetit, is the city on every list. A rustic port hosts a cool cultural scene — with outdoor adventure all around. UNE’s campus is just 10 minutes from downtown. Take a Virtual Tour >