UNE's goal is to create, maintain and enhance a safe and healthful environment for all individuals associated with the institution including students, faculty, employees and visitors.
A training program was established to ensure compliance with all applicable environmental health and safety standards. The Office of Environmental Health and Safety provides health and safety training, information and compliance assistance.
The employing department shall define which positions within their department require training and ensure that employees attend the specified training. Employees are expected to attend all required trainings and observe established policies.
We have created the University of New England Training Requirements outlining the types of training employees need.
Several Human Resources and EHS training topics are offered online through Blackboard. New hires are required to complete all Human Resources training modules and may be assigned certain safety modules depending on their job title and job duties. These trainings are applicable to employees, work-study students, volunteers and visitors — in some cases. Student training is assigned by individual colleges.
HR trainings offered online include:
- Code of Conduct
- Ergonomic Awareness
- Fire Safety
- FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act)
- Red Flag
- Sexual Harassment
- Title IX
- Active Shooter
- Cyber Security Awareness
EHS can be contacted to perform classroom-style training for any of the online programs listed, or we can specifically design safety training for whatever unique hazards may be present in your department. Some classroom-style training courses EHS has provided in the past include:
- Heat Stress Awareness
- Confined Space Entry
- Respiratory Protection
- Hearing Conservation
- Aerial Lift Truck Safety
- Biosafety Awareness
- Chemical Hygiene Officer Training
- Electrical Safety
- Fume Hood Safety
- Ladder Safety
- Proper Lifting Techniques
- Mindfulness in the Workplace
- Power and Hand Tool Safety
- Indoor Air Quality
To enroll yourself or your staff in online training programs, please email firstname.lastname@example.org in Human Resources.
Safety training for UNE students in managed by the individual colleges across the Portland and Biddeford campuses and is specifically designed to suit students' tasks. Examples of training programs include:
- The College of Arts and Sciences provides a laboratory safety training online for students enrolled in chemistry labs, biology labs, etc.
- The College of Osteopathic Medicine provides safety training for the cadaver lab and all its applicable lab sessions.
- The College of Pharmacy conducts a safety training that covers many areas such as drug safety and awareness of laboratory issues.
- The Marine Science Center provides training on field work and boating safety.
If you are a UNE student and you are unsure of the training requirements for your courses, you can reference your course syllabus or speak to your instructor regarding your concerns. If you feel you are not receiving an adequate level of safety training, you can always contact EHS to discuss your concerns.