From campus: Ext. 366
From anywhere: (207)283-0176
An off-campus resource, available 24 hours/day: 1 (888) 568-1112
If you are a Portland or Biddeford campus-affiliated student and are currently experiencing a mental health crisis, you can reach UNE’s on-call counselor by calling (207) 602-2549 and then pressing 6.
Faculty and Professional Staff as helping resources for students
As a trusted member of UNE's faculty or professional staff, you may be approached by or witness students in need of support.
Common Signs a Student May Benefit From Support
- Departure from normal or socially appropriate behavior
- Major changes in personal and professional relationships
- References to suicide
- Self-injurious behavior
- Signs of intoxication
- Disruptive or attention-seeking behavior
- Disoriented or unable to focus in the here and now
- Change in academics (e.g., an “A” student suddenly failing or unable to complete assignments)
What You Can Do
- Always keep safety in mind as you interact with a troubled student. If danger to you, the student, or other University personnel seems near at hand, call Security at extension 366.
- Listen to the student's description of the problem. Take a calm, matter-of-fact approach. Ask direct questions.
- Let the student know that his or her situation does not have to reach crisis proportions before seeking help.
- Don't assume the student is just trying to get attention or relief from responsibility.
- When in doubt, consult. Get in touch with a Student Counseling Center clinical staff member who can help you assess the seriousness of the situation, provide information about resources and options, decide how to begin referral, and consider how you can be most effective in helping the student.
Making a Referral
- Encourage the student to set up an appointment with the Student Counseling Center
Counseling is a personal choice. If the student disagrees with your referral or refuses to seek assistance, and you still feel uncomfortable with the situation, consult a clinician in the Student Counseling Center. Because of confidentiality, counselors cannot provide information about a student's participation in services.
Schedule an Appointment
You may schedule a session with a counselor by emailing or calling your Student Counseling Center. Sessions are typically 50 minutes long and are scheduled by appointment. We are also available to respond to emergencies and crises.
To schedule an appointment at our Biddeford location email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (207) 602-2549.
To schedule an appointment at our Portland location email email@example.com or call (207) 602-2549.