Housing assignments

When do I find out where I will be living?

We will begin making assignments in late June and continue throughout the summer. Housing assignments are based upon the dates we receive your Housing and Dining Contract. For this reason, we encourage you to send this information in as soon as you decide to come to UNE. You will be able to access your roommate information beginning in mid-July.

Will I get my preferred hall assignment?

While we try to accommodate hall requests, not every student will get his or her preferred hall assignment. Continuing students have priority selection in the spring of the previous year. Therefore, some halls fill to capacity sooner than others. The sooner you turn in your completed application, the better your chances are for getting your preferred assignment.

How do I request a roommate?

On the application, there is a place for you to indicate a roommate preference. However, preferences must be mutual and both applications should be received at the same time, since assignments are based on the date the application is received.

When do I get billed for housing?

The first bill you receive will have a default charge. This charge (which reflects a double rate) is intended to assist you and your guardians to address issues related to financing. Updated housing charges will be applied to your student account once your assignment has been made by our office. Please be reminded that the majority of first-year students will be placed in triples for the academic year. The default charge that is currently on your bill is not an accurate charge and does not mean you will be placed in a double.

What is a Living Learning Community or Themed Housing option? How do I apply?

Living Learning Communities (LLCs) and Themed Housing options are specialized housing floors that provide first-year students with an introductory leadership opportunity with specific, themed programs over the course of the academic year. We have LLCs for specific fields of study and themed housing options that open to all students. For information about our Living Learning Communities and Themed Housing options, check out our websiteTo apply for a LLC or Themed Housing option, please visit our housing portal and complete the application.

Changing rooms and meal plans

What do I do to change rooms/halls/roommates after I have moved into my assigned residence hall?

Please go to room changes.

How do I change my meal plan?

Contact Dining Services by phone at (207) 602-2369 or email at UNEdining@une.edu.

Facilities: The basics and extras

What is furnished in a typical first-year resident's room?

The room is furnished with beds, chairs, desks, dressers, closets and fixed lighting. A comprehensive list of what to bring and what you don't need can be found on the Office of Housing and Residential/Commuter Life website.

How will I know what my mailing address will be?

Once you arrive, contact Mail Services to receive your key and P.O. Box assignment. Mail Services is located in the back of the Facilities Building. You will have the university address followed by a P.O. Box number. Be careful not to confuse your P.O. Box number with your room number.

I moved to a different hall from last year. How do I get a different mailbox?

If you are moving to a different hall and need your mailbox moved so you can access it, contact Mail Services to change your mailbox location. They will also take your old mail key and give you a new one for your new box. If you are in the same hall or will have access to your same mailbox for next year, you can keep your mailbox and key for that year.

I’ve received a slip in my mailbox and want to pick up a package. When are the mailrooms in the residence halls open?

Each of the mailrooms has posted hours in the residence halls. There are students who work the mailroom desks during these times, and you can pick up your packages then. If there is no student worker present during that time, it is probably due to an overlap in class schedules and one should be arriving shortly.

Is there internet access in my room? Is it wireless? Do I have a phone line?

There are internet jacks for each person in each bedroom, as well as a phone jack. A student may request to have their jacks enabled. There is also wireless internet in each of the residence halls. The University will use campus email as one of its primary means of communicating with students, from important notices about school closings to notes from the faculty.

Can I get cable TV for my room?

Cable television hookup is provided for you! Each room has one active cable TV line which provides more than 70 channels for viewing. You will need to provide the TV and supply the coaxial cable, which runs from the TV to the wall. If you choose not to bring a TV, each residence hall lounge is equipped with a television and DVD player which is hooked to cable.

What should I bring to make my room seem more like home?

Carpets, bedspreads, a movable light, posters, decorative pillows, and plants are just a few ideas; the list goes on. Remember, there will be two or three of you sharing the space, so be realistic about what you plan to bring. Due to limited storage space, it is not possible for you to bring your own bed, desk, or other furnishings. The following is a checklist of items students usually bring with them:

  • Sheets
  • Shower caddy
  • Bedspread
  • Pillow
  • Area rug
  • Blankets
  • Flashlight
  • Radio/stereo
  • Laundry bag/basket
  • Toiletries
  • Reading lamp(s)
  • Fan
  • Wastebasket (metal only)
  • Picture/posters
  • Approved extension cord

You may want to contact your roommate before you begin packing for school to avoid duplication of items. You may also want to wait to purchase a bedspread and draperies until you arrive so the two of you can agree on a pattern or color. Most windows in the halls have been installed with energy efficient shades which provide privacy, but if you wish to dress up your window, measurements are as follows:

Hall Window size
Assisi 74" wide x 60" long
Avila 74" wide x 60" long
Champlain 70" wide x 54" long

Bedroom: 36" x 53"

Common area: 98" wide x 53" long

Featherman 72" wide x 60" long
Frederick 54" wide x 60" long
Padua 74" wide x 60" long
Siena 74" wide x 60" long

Single room: 36" wide x 49" long

Double room: 60" wide x 49" long

What are the sizes of each room?

Most furniture is movable; beds can either be bunked or lofted, depending upon the hall to which you are assigned. The room sizes below are just approximations and may vary between rooms. If you are planning on buying carpeting we recommend you wait until you see your room. Mattresses are oversized twins — 36" X 80" in all buildings except East and West.

Hall Room size
Avila 10'8" x 15'2"
Assisi 10'8" x 15'2"

Bedroom: 12'7" x 14'7"

Common area: 11 x 10


Bedroom: 9' x 10'8"

Common area: 9'3" x 11'4"

Featherman 11'9" x 12'3"
Frederick 10'7" x 13'9"
Padua 10'8" x 15'2"
Siena 10'8" x 15'2"

Single: 8'10" x 10'8"

Double: 14'5" x 11'4"

Common area: 9'4" x 11'9"

What should I not bring?

Hot plates, candles, toaster ovens, and items with an open heating element are not allowed in residence hall rooms; there are kitchens available in each residence hall for cooking. Firearms, knives and blades, halogen lamps, and pets are not permitted in the residence halls. You may bring a small microwave oven and small refrigerator. Housing and Residential/Commuter Life has put together Health and Safety Inspection FAQ, a guide of approved items, and commonly asked questions regarding what is allowed in residence halls rooms. 

Who is responsible for arranging the repair of broken windows, clogged drains, etc.?

You report maintenance concerns to the Resident Advisor staff. Maintenance staff is on hand during the week, and 24-hour emergency service is available during other times.

May I store belongings on campus over the summer?

No, but there are several reasonably priced self-storage businesses in town.


What are the residence hall policies, such as quiet hours, alcohol, drugs and visitation?

A comprehensive list of residence hall policies is included in the Residence Hall Handbook. View the University Student Handbook, and Office of Housing and Residential/Commuter Life Handbook (PDF).

How do I register a guest?

If your guest is over the age of 18 you must complete this online form. Remember to make sure you print a copy of this and your guest has it in their possession at all times.

What do I do if I want to have someone who is under the age of 18 stay in my Residence Hall?

If your guest is under the age of 18 you will need to have their parent/guardian complete the Overnight Minor Guest Form (PDF).

Residence Hall staff

What is an RA?

An RA is a Resident Advisor — a helper, friend, peer, and good resource for information. The average ratio of RAs to students is about 1 to 30. We encourage you to seek out your RA right away for help and information.

What are professional staff members?

Professional staff members are administrators who help manage the halls campus-wide. On the Biddeford campus, the Office of Housing and Residential/Commuter Life is overseen by the director of Student Conduct along with a director and associate director, and five area coordinators. These professional staff members supervise the efforts of the RAs and offer students a source of close communication with the Department of Student Affairs and other offices on campus.

I live on campus, and the bathroom sink in my suite is not draining. What do I do?

Your RA is a great resource for you in your residence hall! Let your RA know about this and any other facilities issues, and your RA will put in a work order with Facilities to fix the issues.

General questions

Who can I talk to about my class schedule and getting registered for the courses I need?

For your course schedule and major requirements, you can talk with your Advisor. For any direct questions about registration, the online process and error messages, contact Registration Services

I am looking for work study on campus. Do you know who’s hiring?

There are many offices across campus that hire students for work study. You can find the open positions listed online at Undergraduate Financial Aid. You can also check with staff members in the different offices to see if they know of any possible opportunities.

Who do I talk to if I want to change my major?

You can talk with your Advisor and/or with Career Services to explore changes to your major and compare the course requirements.

What about internships and career preparation?

Career Services can help you start and/or edit your portfolio, including your resume and cover letter. Concerning internships, check with your advisor as well as the College of Arts and Sciences Internship Office to explore opportunities that would be best for you.

I am worried that I am failing one of my classes. Where can I go for help with test strategies and study skills?

Check out our Student Academic Success Center! They have various resources for study skills and learning strategies as well as tutoring services, math and writing services, and developmental courses.

I’m interested in starting a student organization on campus. How do I do that?

You can start by talking to staff in the Campus Center and Student Involvement Office. Another great resource are Student Involvement interns who work with student organizations throughout the year.

I just found out that one of my family members is sick/injured. I am so stressed, but I cannot go home for another month. Is there anyone on campus I can talk to?

Absolutely! Counseling Services has staff on campus during business hours, and you can call ext. 2549 to schedule an appointment. We also have Resident Advisors in the halls and professional Housing staff members who can help during the day as well as after hours.