Important housing dates

Action Date
Last day new students can withdraw without penalty June 1, 2023
2023/24 Housing and Dining Contracts are due for full consideration; Deadline for building preference, roommate requests, and LLC Application June 30, 2023
Housing assignments are available to view online July 18, 2023
Move-in for LLC/TLC first-year students August 24, 2023
Move-in for all first-year students August 27, 2023
Move-in for all transfer students August 28, 2023

Signing up for campus housing

All incoming students must complete a Housing and Dining Contract online. Students will log in with their Nor'easter Account. If you are a first time user, you will need to set up your account. 

Once you have submitted your $500 deposit to Student Accounts ($200 housing deposit/$300 admissions deposit), your housing application will be reviewed.

If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Housing and Residential/Commuter Life at (207) 602-2272 or


How can I make changes to my housing contract?

Please email our office at with any changes you might have and we will update your contract. You have until June 30 to make any changes to your contract since we will be assigning housing shortly after this date.

What happens after I receive my assignment?

Your housing assignment will include the academic year room assignment, mailing address, and roommate information including their UNE email address. If you are concerned about what to pack, you can download and print our What to Pack list (PDF) complete with measurements for beds and windows.

Can I bring a microwave and refrigerator?

Coordinating who is bringing the microwave, refrigerator, and television is one of the first things you may want to discuss with your new roommates. Our upper class suites are furnished with full-sized refrigerators in their kitchenettes.

You can also take advantage of the Microchill Rental Program, a 3-in-1 microwave, refrigerator, and freezer combination appliance that can be delivered and picked up at the beginning and end of the academic year

I am interested in a Living Learning Community or Themed Housing option. How do I apply?

To apply for a Living Learning Community (LLC) or Themed Housing option, please visit our housing portal and complete the application. These specialized options provide first-year students with an introductory leadership opportunity with specific, themed programs over the course of the academic year.

Learn more about our Living Learning Communities and Themed Housing options

What is a Resident Advisor (RA) and how can they help me?

An RA is a student and community leader who is responsible for creating and supporting a community among a floor of residential students. They work with a team of other RAs to assist the Office of Housing and Residential/Commuter Life to efficiently manage the residence halls. 

One way RAs help accomplish this is through the on-call process. The on-duty RA is the point person for any needs or concerns their residential students might have once the Office of Housing and Residential/Commuter Life is closed. This includes everything from signing in guests, addressing residents who may be disrupting others who are trying to sleep or study, or working with the professional staff to handle emergency situations. 

The purpose of the duty system is to ensure that residents always have someone they can go to if they need help. The RA lives in the same community in which they work, which makes the RA a perfect person to advocate for the needs and desires of their community. Think of an RA as your older brother or sister at UNE. They are someone you go to for advice, someone who celebrates your triumphs and sticks up for you when you feel helpless, someone who plans fun and educational events, and ultimately someone who motivates you when you fall off the right track. When you're not quite sure where to go or what to do, it is a pretty safe bet that your RA can point you in the right direction.

Why does my RA have floor meetings and programs? Is it mandatory that I attend?

Living in a residence hall is not just about having a room to sleep in on campus. It's important to challenge yourself to meet new people and gain new experiences. Attending a floor meeting once a month is a commitment you make but a worthwhile one. It's an opportunity to gather with the people you live with and build a community that accommodates everyone's needs as well as to express any concerns that the community faces. At floor meetings, your RA will also have important information to share with you about procedures and happenings on campus. Programs planned by your RA are created to challenge and expand minds, an opportunity that no resident should miss.

What happens if I have issues with my roommate(s)? How can I get a room change?

The first step is to go to your RA about the problem. Within the first few days at UNE, you will be given a Roommate Agreement in which you will sit down with your roommate(s) and set certain boundaries and rules for the room such as a guest policy, your standard of cleanliness, and personal space.

The RA will refer back to this agreement form and will use your previously set rules to come to a resolution. If this does not alleviate the problem, mediation is required between you and your roommate(s) which can be facilitated by your RA and/or Area Coordinator. If the situation does not improve after the mediation process, you may complete a Room Change Request. 

After requesting a room change, you must meet with your Area Coordinator in order for the request. It is important to understand that without completing these steps, you cannot move out of your room. Changing rooms without the approval of the Housing Office will result in additional problems, so it is very important to follow procedure.

We realize that roommate conflicts can be extremely frustrating, but it is important to try and work things out with your roommate(s) before immediately deciding to move out. The goal of the Housing Staff is to make sure that all residents have a sense of safety and comfort wherever they may be living on campus. Our team will do all that we can to help you have the most enjoyable residential experience possible.

I have been assigned to a triple but I need quiet to study, where can I study on campus?

Living in a triple can be cozy and sometimes you need to escape to a quiet space to study. One of the best places is the library. There are silent floors where no talking is allowed, and group study rooms where you and a few other people from a study group can work together in a private area. The great part about the library is that the Windward Café is right downstairs! When you feel yourself starting to drag, you can go down and grab a smoothie or a Starbucks coffee and go back to studying. 

If I get sick or injured, who should I contact?

If you are sick or injured, it is important that you visit the Student Health Center. The Student Health Center is located on the lower level of the Petts Health Center building. There is an upper entrance with stairs to get to the lower level or there is a back, street-level door. Please call to make an appointment. Walk-in appointments are accommodated as providers are able — students with appointments will be seen first. Student Health Services provides health care services similar to those of your primary doctor or health care provider. They can prescribe medicine or treatments as needed. Student Health providers may also provide you with a note if your illness or injury will keep you out of class for multiple days. During hours that Student Health Services is not open, there is a 24-hour live nurse triage line that you can call for health care advice: 1-866-847-5338. You may also contact your RA, Campus Security or Student EMS team.

What is the cell phone reception like in the residence halls? If I wanted a landline how can I get one in my room?

Getting a landline in your room is easy! Each room has its own extension so all you need to do is bring a traditional phone from home and ask your RA to contact facilities to get your landline activated; you will be up and running in a day or so. Cell phone service is excellent across campus and the residence halls are no different. 

When it is time for a break, do I have to leave campus or remove all my things? What if I have to stay for break?

All residents must leave campus during breaks unless they need to stay for reasons such as academics, research, athletics or another approved reason. Students who remain on campus during breaks must submit a Break Housing Application. The Housing Office needs to approve all break housing applications. This process is applicable for all breaks, except specific days in December when the University will be closed. Winter Break Housing begins on January 2 of each year except for athletic teams who need to return right after Christmas. Students will need to find an alternative place to stay during winter closure (e.g., home, with a classmate, friend or professor). Note that a meal plan is not offered at this time since breaks are deemed out of session.

RA staff will instruct students on what they need to do before leaving for each break. Students do not need to remove any of their items during breaks except for summer break when they need to take everything home. UNE does not have storage space for student belongings over the summer break.

Why do I need to keep my UNE ID on me at all times?

Your UNE ID is very important for a number of reasons! It gets you into your building as well as your room depending on which residence hall you live in. It also allows you to use meals from your meal plan in the dining hall, and purchase food from The Hang and Windward Café. It is important in case security needs to identify you for any reason; if security asks to see your ID and you don't have it, disciplinary action may take place.

What happens if I lock myself out or lose my UNE ID/keys?

If you lose your ID card, you should go to UNE Safety and Security and inform them so they can take proper action and get you a replacement or temporary card until you have another one made. You will receive a $20 charge if you have lost or broken your ID card. If you lose your room key, you should go to housing if they are still open, as well as call Security. If housing is closed, go straight to Security.

If you are locked out of your room, follow these simple steps to get back in:

  1. Find your RA. If they are unavailable, try to find another RA in the building.
  2. If you can't find any RAs and it is before 5 p.m., call the housing office at (207) 602-2272.
  3. If it is after 5 p.m., call UNE Safety and Security at (207) 602-2298 and they will be able to properly assist you.
  4. After 8 p.m., the front desk staff can contact the RAs on duty to assist you.