On-Campus Housing Accommodations

At UNE, all students are required to live on campus for three years. We believe that residence hall living is an important aspect of the entire University experience. A residence hall is a vital community — alive with a diversity of people, ideas, goals, needs, and — most importantly — a commitment to sharing. We believe the first-year experience is particularly critical to a positive transition to UNE. Sharing in a vibrant living community and programming with other first-year students is an essential component to the residential program.

As part of the commitment to students with disabilities, and to ensure that students have equitable access to campus programs — including housing — UNE will provide reasonable housing accommodations to eligible students.

To substantiate the need for assistance, we require clear, current, comprehensive documentation of limitations in function or performance, specifically as it relates to housing. Substantiated need is constituted by a severe and chronic disabling condition that has been well documented by an appropriate and qualified professional. The condition must significantly restrict access to the residential educational environment and/or residential activities unless reasonable accommodations are provided.

Students with disabilities request a variety of housing accommodations (adjustments to the standard housing arrangements) ranging from dietary restrictions to a medical single. The Student Access Center may determine that there is a disability that needs to be accommodated; however, our first attempt will be to accommodate within University facilities. Is something missing from this sentence?

We will accept and consider requests for reasonable accommodation in University housing at any time. However, accommodations are based on current housing availability and capacity. To facilitate our best efforts to potentially implement your accommodation request, we recommend submitting your request:

  • New/Transfer Students:
    • By December 15 for Spring semester accommodations (with the understanding that space is limited in the Spring semester).
    • By July 1 for Fall semester accommodations.
  • Returning Students:
    • By the end of March (prior to housing selection) for accommodation requests for the following academic year.

UNE will make every effort to meet your needs for accommodation. This is dependent on housing availability and capacity, so it may not be possible to implement all requests — particularly during the first semester or term of occupancy.

How to Apply for Housing Accommodations

  1. Fill out a Housing Accommodation Request form (PDF) and return it to the Student Access Center by the recommended date above.
  2. Provide required documentation materials (Documentation Guidelines for Housing Accommodations (PDF)) to the Student Access Center. 
  3. The Student Access Center will set up a time for you to come in for an interview.
  4. The director/coordinator of the center reviews the request and completed documentation.
  5. The director/coordinator will consult with the director/associate director of Housing and Residential/Commuter Life about the nature of the accommodation and the availability of an appropriate housing assignment.
  6. The director/coordinator of the center provides written notification of a decision you and Office of Housing and Residential/Commuter Life.

Submitting a request does not guarantee accommodation. Accommodations are approved based on careful review of the documentation provided (this may include evaluation of your medical condition). Approved accommodation implementation is dependent on current housing availability and capacity. 

When a request for a housing accommodation is denied, you may appeal this decision, following the Student Appeal Policy and Procedure (PDF).

Dietary Accommodations

There are alternative dietary options located in dining facilities throughout campus. Campus dining locations have signs next to food items regarding some food allergies and restrictions such as gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan.

Students may request a dietary accommodation using the Application for Reasonable Accommodations (PDF) along with appropriate documentation, or with the Dietary Accommodation Verification Form (PDF) (which is filled out by your healthcare provider).