About Your Disability Insurance
This benefit offers you income protection when you cannot work due to an injury or illness that is not work-related. UNE offers full- and half-time faculty and staff a voluntary short term disability plan. UNE covers the cost for long term disability coverage for full-time faculty and staff.
Our employees in Morocco are only eligible for The Standard’s long-term and short-term disability plans if they are a citizen or resident of the U.S. or Canada. Additionally, if a U.S. or Canada citizen/resident was working on our Moroccan campus and became qualified for long-term disability (LTD) they would only get LTD for 12 months. If after 12 months they are still disabled, they would need to return to the U.S. in order to continue to receive their LTD benefit.
New: Health Advocacy Select
When you are out sick or injured, your focus should be on your health, not untangling medical bills, scheduling appointments, managing out-of-pocket expenses, or resolving medical claims. Now UNE employees who are on short-term disability can access support similar to our current Health Advocate benefit. Representatives will be familiar with the short-term disability claim so they can help from A to Z. Learn more about the Health Advocacy Select benefit (PDF).
Advocates are available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.–midnight by calling 1 (944) 450-5543.
Short Term Disability Insurance
This is a voluntary disability insurance plan that replaces up to 70% of your weekly income in $50 increments up to a maximum of $750 per week. You pay the premium for the coverage you elect on an after-tax basis, therefore making any weekly benefit you may receive non-taxable income.
- Summary Plan Description (PDF)
- Notice of Rights (PDF)
- Updated Short Term Disability Insurance Eligibility Requirements (PDF): Due to COVID-19, the definition of eligible member and the "actively at work" provisions have been updated.
Full- and half-time employees are eligible for short-term disability insurance. Coverage begins the first of the month following the date of hire. If the hire date is the first of the month eligibility begins that day. Coverage ends the last date you actively work in a benefit-eligible position.
To smooth out the rough spots you may encounter, all employees may access support resources available to them through CIGNA Employee Assistance.
Your age as of January 1, 2022
Rates per $10 of benefit
Long term disability insurance
This benefit is available to full-time employees. It assures you of 50% of your income, to a maximum of $7,500/month, in the event you are disabled for more than 180 days up to the normal Social Security retirement age. Because UNE provides you a credit to cover the cost of this insurance but the premiums are deducted on a post-tax basis, you will not be taxed on any long term disability benefits you receive.
- Summary Plan Description for incomes greater than $30,000 (PDF)
- Summary Plan Description for all other incomes (PDF)
- Notice of Rights (PDF)
- Updated Long Term Disability Insurance Eligibility Requirements (PDF): Due to COVID-19, the definition of eligible member and the "actively at work" provisions have been updated.
- Full-Time Employees
Coverage begins the first of the month following date of hire; if hire date is first of the month eligibility begins that day. Coverage ends the last date you actively work in a full-time, benefit-eligible position.
Recovery from long-term illnesses or injuries may create other stressors and issues. UNE provides coordinating employee assistance programs to help you through these challenging times.
- Advance Sick Leave Request (PDF): Paperwork to submit to request a grant of advance sick leave when accrued sick leave has been exhausted.
- Family Medical Leave brochure (PDF): You may have questions about the Family Medical Leave (FML) Act. This brochure can answer some of your questions.
- Leave of Absence Request form (PDF): If you believe you will need three or more days of leave under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) or Maine Family Medical leave please complete this form and email it to Cat Martins, benefits and disability specialist.
- Long Term Disability Claim form (PDF): This form is for a full-time employee who has been disabled for more than 180 days. This applies whether or not you elected voluntary short-term disability insurance.
- Short Term Disability Claim form (PDF): This is a claim form for individuals who have elected Voluntary Short-Term Disability Insurance and who now are making an application for use.