Disability Insurance

This benefit offers you income protection when you cannot work due to an injury or illness that is not work related. UNE offers full- and half-time faculty and staff a voluntary short term disability plan. UNE covers the cost for long term disability coverage for full-time faculty and staff.

Short Term Disability Insurance

This is a voluntary disability insurance plan that replaces up to 70% of your weekly income in $50 increments up to a maximum of $750 per week. You pay the premium for the coverage you elect on an after-tax basis, therefore making any weekly benefit you may receive non-taxable income.


Who's Eligible?

Eligible Employees

  • Full-Time Employees
  • Half-Time Employees


When can participation begin?

First of the month following date of hire; if hire date is first of the month eligibility begins that day.


Employee's age

as of 1/1/18


per $10 of benefit

Under 30

30-34 $0.55
35-39 $0.55
40-44 $0.55
50-54 $0.60
55-59 $0.72
60-64 $0.87
65-69 $1.02
70+ $1.33


The Standard Life Insurance Plan

Customer Service

(888) 937-4783

Short Term Disability BENEFITS

(800) 368-2859


Long Term Disability Insurance

This benefit is available to full-time employees. It assures you of 50% of your income, to a maximum of $7,500/month, in the event you are disabled for more than 180 days up to the normal Social Security retirement age. Because UNE provides you a credit to cover the cost of this insurance but the premiums are deducted on a post-tax basis, you will not be taxed on any long term disability benefits you receive.


Who's Eligible?

Eligible Employees 

Full-Time Employees 


When can participation begin? 

First of the month following date of hire; if hire date is first of the month eligibility begins that day. 


  • Advance Sick Leave Request
    Paperwork to submit to request a grant of advance sick leave when accrued sick leave has been exhausted.

  • Family Medical Leave (FML) brochure
    You may have questions about the Family Medical Leave Act. What is FML? What does it mean to you? Are you eligible to take Family Medical Leave? This brochure may answer some of your questions.

  • Long Term Disability Claim form
    This form is for a full-time employee who has been disabled for greater than 180 days. This applies whether or not you elected voluntary short term disability insurance.

  • Medical Documentation form
    Required medical documentation form needed to apply for Disability Leave or Family Medical Leave.

  • Short Term Disability Claim form
    This is a claim form for individuals who have elected Voluntary Short-Term Disability Insurance and who now are making application for use.