About Your Life Insurance
UNE offers basic life insurance coverage and supplemental life insurance coverage through The Standard. Carefully review your eligibility and plan specifics and The Standard: Life and Disability Insurance Presentation (PDF) to determine the coverage that is right for you.
- Summary Plan Description (PDF)
- Notice of Rights (PDF)
- Life and Disability Enrollment Booklet for benefit eligible individuals earning greater than 30,000 and working more than 35 hours a week (PDF)
- Life and Disability Enrollment Booklet for benefit eligible individuals earning less than 30,000 and working more than 35 hours a week (PDF)
- Life and Disability Enrollment Booklet for benefit eligible individuals working more than 20 hours a week but less than 35 (PDF)
- WRAP Summary Plan Description (PDF)
- Updated Life Insurance Eligibility Requirements (PDF): Due to COVID-19, the definition of eligible member and the "actively at work" provisions have been updated.
- Participation in life insurance benefits may begin the first of the month after your hire date or qualifying event. If your hire date or event occurs on the first of the month, then benefits begin on the date of hire or qualifying event.
- Coverage ends the date you are no longer actively at work in a benefits-eligible position, except in the case of a layoff where coverage will cease at the end of the month in which the layoff began. This benefit may be taken with you if you leave UNE.
- Our employees in Morocco are only eligible for The Standard’s life insurance policy if they are a citizen or resident of the U.S. or Canada.
Basic Coverage Eligibility
- Full-Time Employees: UNE pays for full-time employees to have one time their annual salary in basic life insurance. This coverage has a $20,000 minimum benefit and a $300,000 maximum benefit.
- Half-Time Employees: You may purchase 1, 2, 3, or 4 times your annual salary in basic life insurance. This coverage has a $500,000 maximum benefit.
Supplemental Coverage Eligibility
- Full-Time Employees: You may elect 1, 2, 3, or 4 times your annual salary in additional life insurance. This Coverage has a $500,000 maximum benefit.
- UNE also provides a $2.50 monthly credit to use to purchase additional life insurance, pay toward other benefits, or take in cash.
Life Insurance Claim Packet
- In the event that a life insurance claim is necessary, the forms included in the life insurance claim packet (PDF) as well as the additional information noted in packet will need to be completed.
Important Things to Consider
If You Purchase More Than $350,000 of Coverage
- If you elect coverage greater than $350,000 or choose to increase your elected amount (such as going from 1x to 2x coverage), you will need to complete an Evidence of Insurability (EOI) form, which you may obtain through HR or The Standard. For this purpose, UNE's group name is University of New England and the group number is 144362-A.
- If the initial EOI for a salary increase is approved, you will not have to show EOI for any additional salary increases in the future.
- If the initial EOI for an increased plan election is approved, and in the future you make additional increases such as going from 2x to 3x coverage, you will be required to complete the EOI process again for that increased election. Your newly elected increased level of coverage will not go into effect until this form is completed and approved by The Standard.
- Failure to complete the EOI may affect your benefit.
Evidence of Insurability for Late Entrants
If you are electing coverage for the first time but were previously eligible, you will have to complete an Evidence of Insurability (EOI) form for any amount of coverage you elect now or in the future.
If You Are Turning 70 This Year
If you are 70+ years of age or will be turning 70 in 2023, please speak with HR to discuss how your coverage may be affected in 2023.
Life Services Toolkit
The Standard offers a Life Services Toolkit (PDF) for covered employees and their beneficiaries. Various tools include legal forms, online will preparation, estate planning assistance, tips to avoid identity theft, grief sessions, and funeral planning. Access Resources with username assurance.
Portability and Conversion Options
Upon ending employment with the University you may have options to continue your life insurance coverage with The Standard. Please review the Comparing Portability and Conversion Options (PDF) in Maine.
Fidelity's Loss Checklist
The Fidelity Loss Checklist (PDF) provides legal and financial steps to take after the loss of a loved one.
Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
UNE provides all regular full-time employees with Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance coverage of one time your annual base salary at no cost. This coverage pays benefits if you die, lose a limb, or lose sensory function as the result of an accident.
The Standard, UNE’s administrator for life insurance, also provides free Travel Assistance to eligible employees.
The Standard Life Insurance Plan