UNE offers basic life insurance coverage and supplemental life insurance coverage through The Standard. Carefully review your eligibility and plan specifics to determine the coverage that is right for you.
- Summary Plan Description (PDF)
- Notice of Rights (PDF)
- Life and Disability Enrollment Booklet for benefit eligible individuals earning greater than 30,000 and working more than 35 hours a week (PDF)
- Life and Disability Enrollment Booklet for benefit eligible individuals earning less than 30,000 and working more than 35 hours a week (PDF)
- Life and Disability Enrollment Booklet for benefit eligible individuals working more than 20 hours a week (PDF)
- Updated Life Insurance Eligibility Requirements (PDF): Due to COVID-19, the definition of eligible member and the "actively at work" provisions have been updated.
- Participation in life insurance benefits may begin the first of the month after your hire date or qualifying event. If your hire date or event occurs on the first of the month, then benefits begin on the date of hire or qualifying event.
- Coverage ends the date you are no longer actively at work in a benefits-eligible position, except in the case of a layoff where coverage will cease at the end of the month in which the layoff began. This benefit may be taken with you if you leave UNE.
- Our employees in Morocco are only eligible for The Standard’s life insurance policy if they are a citizen or resident of the U.S. or Canada.
Basic Coverage Eligibility
- Full-Time Employees: UNE pays for full-time employees to have one time their annual salary in basic life insurance. This coverage has a $20,000 minimum benefit and a $300,000 maximum benefit.
- Half-Time Employees: You may purchase 1, 2, 3, or 4 times your annual salary in basic life insurance. This coverage has a $500,000 maximum benefit.
Supplemental Coverage Eligibility
- Full-Time Employees: You may elect 1, 2, 3, or 4 times your annual salary in additional life insurance. This Coverage has a $500,000 maximum benefit.
- UNE also provides a $2.50 monthly credit to use to purchase additional life insurance, pay toward other benefits, or take in cash.
Important Things to Consider:
If you purchase greater than $350,000 of coverage
You may purchase $350,000 of coverage with no proof of insurability. However, if you purchase amounts in excess of $350,000 you will be required to complete the Evidence of Insurability Form (EOI). For this purpose, UNE's group name is University of New England and group number is 144362-A.
Failure to complete the EOI may affect your benefit.
IF YOU are or this year will be turning 70
- When an employee turns 70 their elected life insurance coverage (and associated premium) is reduced by 50%. This adjustment takes place on the employee’s birthday.
- If you are turning 70 in the following calendar year, simply double the level of coverage during Open Enrollment that you would like to have by the end of the year. HR and Payroll will adjust the premium behind the scenes at the time of your birthday and you will see the deduction reduce by 50% at that time.
- For those already 70 or older, during Open Enrollment opt for double the level of coverage that you require keeping in mind that that actual level of coverage amount will be reduced by 50%. The deduction to your paycheck will be based on the 50% premium rate.
Life Services Toolkit
The Standard offers a Life Services Toolkit (PDF) for covered employees and their beneficiaries. Various tools include legal forms, online will preparation, estate planning assistance, tips to avoid identity theft, grief sessions, and funeral planning.
Access Resources with username: assurance
Supplemental Life Insurance Plan Costs
|Your age as of January 1, 2021||Cost per $1,000 of coverage per month|
The Standard Life Insurance Plan
Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
UNE provides all regular full-time employees with Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance coverage of one time your annual base salary at no cost. This coverage pays benefits if you die, lose a limb, or lose sensory function as the result of an accident.