Think healthy! Live well! There is nothing more valuable than good health. UNE offers a choice of medical insurance plans that are designed to help you and your family stay healthy and provide comprehensive coverage when you need it.
- Full- or half-time faculty or staff (self)
- Spouse or Domestic Partner
- Dependent Children (and those of a Domestic Partner) until the end of the month they turn 26 years of age
- Participation in health coverage may begin the first of the month after your hire or qualifying event. If your hire or event occurs on the first of the month, then benefits begin on the date of hire or qualifying event.
- Coverage ends the last day of the month in which you physically work in a benefits-eligible position.
- Please review the Summary Plan Descriptions for more eligibility details and consult with Human Resources for specific situations.
Health Care on the Move
We get it — everyone is on the go these days. We continue to find ways to bring you your health care in ways that are convenient for you. Set up these mobile apps to get access to your health and dental information, ID card, and other resources on your mobile device.
Retiree Medical Insurance Coverage
The University of New England offers a program for long-term employees to continue on the university medical plan under certain circumstances prior to age 65. The cost for continuing medical coverage for early retirees will be borne completely by the former employee. The purpose of this extension of benefits is to allow access to group coverage prior to their eligibility for Medicare for employees wishing to retire early.
The following criteria must be met in order to qualify:
- Employee must have completed 20 years of service at the time that this continuation of coverage becomes effective
- Employee must have attained age 60 prior to their retirement date
- Coverage continues until the date the retiree and eligible dependent become entitled to Medicare
Please contact Human Resources for more information.
Medicare Part D – Notice of Creditable Coverage
The prescription drug coverage listed under the University of New England's medical plan is expected to payout, on average, at least as much as the standard Medicare prescription drug coverage will pay in a calendar year and is considered "creditable coverage." If you or your covered dependents are enrolled in any prescription drug coverage listed in this notice of creditable coverage and are or become covered by Medicare, you may decide to enroll in a Medicare prescription drug plan later and not be subject to the late enrollment penalty as long as you had creditable coverage within 63 days of your Medicare prescription drug plan enrollment. Please read the notice of creditable coverage carefully and keep this notice with your important records.
Additionally, Health Advocate is a free and confidential resource to help you, your spouse, dependent children, parents, and parents-in-law answer questions regarding Medicare.
This in-network plan provides a moderate co-payment option and has mid-level monthly premium costs. Learn more about your Basic Health plan.
This in-network plan provides lower co-payments and has the highest monthly premiums. Learn more about your Enhanced Health plan.
High Deductible Health Plan with Health Savings Account (HSA)
This plan offers in and out of network benefits at a low monthly premium. In 2020, UNE will be providing $2,600 ($1,300 in January and $1,300 in July) to eligible participants' HSA, and participants have the option to contribute additional money (within limitations set by the IRS). Learn more about the High Deductible Health Plan and the HSA option.
Vision benefits are included as part of your health plan when you elect one of our health care plans.
Understanding your pharmacy benefits will assist you in making the most effective decisions. Search your medications quickly and easily.
Choose the year and then "Premium 3-Tier" to find out how your prescription medications are covered.
Overseas Urgent and Emergency Care
With UNE's presence in Morocco and the increased global connections across the University, this information will be of assistance to anyone covered under the health plans who is traveling overseas.
Create an account with Harvard Pilgrim to access information about your medical health plan.
Looking for a Doctor?
- Go to the Harvard Pilgrim provider search link
- Under Standard Plans
- Select PPO and search for providers based on your needs.
It is helpful to remember:
- Insurance bills under doctors, not facilities, so it is best to search for a doctor's name.
- Nurse Practitioners bill under the doctor's name, so it is best to search by the doctor's name.
- Hospitals are searchable to confirm that they are in-network.
This is a free and confidential benefit that helps you and your family (spouse, dependent children, parents, and parents-in-law) get answers involving your medical, hospital, dental, mental health, medications, and other health care issues.
- Find the right doctors, dentists, and other providers.
- Locate the right treatment facilities.
- Get explanations of coverage stipulations and alternatives for uncovered services.
- Get to the bottom of billing mistakes and coverage denials.
- Negotiate fees and payment arrangements.
- Find in-home care, adult day care, assisted living, and long-term care.
- Clarify Medicare, Medicaid and Medicare Supplemental Plans.
- Get tips on Protecting Against Identity Theft
- See more in the Health Advocate Features Brochure
Normal business hours are Monday–Friday, between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m. EST, but staff is available after hours and on weekends.
Other Health Forms
Benefit Election Form 24 Pay
For 12-month faculty or staff or for 9- or 10-month faculty or staff electing to defer their pay over 12 months.
Benefit Election Form 18 Pay
For 9-month faculty or staff being paid over 9 months.
Overview of the primary benefits offered by UNE.
Domestic Partner Affidavit
This certifies the necessary requirements for unmarried domestic partners’ eligibility to be included in health and dental insurance coverage.
Discounts and Savings flyer (PDF)
This helps you and your family find savings on your way to well being.
Harvard Pilgrim Care Team flyer (PDF)
This team can help address your health care concerns and alleviate worries