Getting Started at UNE

Welcome to the University of New England. Beginning a new job can be a daunting experience. The information in this section, along with the information provided to you by your department, is designed to assist your transition to your new position and the University.

Initial Essentials

Completing paperwork early facilitates systems set up. Although there will be other paperwork and processes that you will need to complete, the documents here help us get you set up in our systems sooner.

Orientation and Required Training

Orientation and required training connects you to information and policies that are important as you get started with the University, as well as resources you can reference throughout your employment. It also provides initial training required by various regulatory agencies. Your individual training is a combination of shared information and specific training based on your position classification. Our process complements explanations that you will receive from your manager and mentors.

Available 24/7 through online modules, training is assigned once you have appropriate computer access and varies based on your specific role and status within the University. You are expected to complete assigned orientation and training within 30 calendar days from your first day of work.

If you have questions regarding the courses assigned, or think that other training should have been assigned, please contact us at

Understanding Payroll

Understanding the payroll process, how it affects you and what you can do to assure a smooth transition are important details as you begin employment with the University. These resources and documents will assist you to navigate the payroll process. 

*Please note that not all leave time categories apply to each employment status. Please review the Personnel Handbook for details regarding each type of leave time category.

Getting your ID card

  • Have your ID Request form authorized by Human Resources and bring it with you when you go to Security to have your picture taken and ID Card processed.
  • ID cards may take 2 to 3 days for processing after receiving your picture and all necessary documents.
  • Carry your ID card with you at all times. It is your Library Card, as well as your access to various services, buildings and rooms around campus. Access varies with your position and status with the University.
  • If you have questions about your ID card or if it is lost or stolen, please contact our Security Department ID Officer at (207) 602-2900 or extension 2900 from any UNE phone.

Technology at UNE

Information Technology Services is your resource for getting online, keeping your technology up-to-date, and staying connected with your colleagues on campus and beyond. From the day you begin your position at UNE, ITS provides you with tech support, opportunities for online learning and access to resources to ensure you succeed in your position. Contact ITS to set up a U-Online account and an email account, and for whatever additional support you need.

Learn More

Parking at UNE

Cost of a permit by type

  • Full-time faculty and staff: $36 per year 
  • Adjunct, half-time and part-time faculty and staff: $8 per year
  • Replacement pass: $7
  • Satellite parking (BNC) permits for the off-site lots on Bishop Street Extension and the Stevens Avenue Congregational Church (middle 2 rows) and the National Guard Armory rear lot in Portland are also available free of charge.

A note for commuters on the Portland Campus 

Parking on the Portland Campus is limited, therefore staff (non-faculty) may not park on campus Monday through Friday from 8 a.m.. to 5 p.m. Free Satellite Parking permits at the off-site parking lots on Bishop Street Extension and the Stevens Avenue Congregational Church (middle 2 rows) are available. For Portland based commuters, the BNC permit will be accepted on the Biddeford campus. For additional information view the Maps of Portland-area restricted parking zones and Bishop Street parking lot.

A shuttle is provided between the Bishop Street Extension parking area and the Portland Security Office between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. If you can’t get back to the Bishop Street Extension lot before 7 p.m., please call UNE Safety and Security at (207) 602-2298 for a ride to your car.

Get Prequalified

As a new faculty or staff member, you will need to be prequalified. Please send an email to Ed Truitt at with the following information:

  • Your last name
  • Your PRN (910------)
  • The type of permit requested

To Purchase a prequalified permit

Go to and enter UNE as your destination. Have your vehicle registration and payment information ready. 

Car-Pool Program (Biddeford only)

Participants will be able to park on campus at no charge. Essentially, each time you come to campus there must be a minimum of two occupants in the vehicle and you must park in designated Car-Pool spaces. Car-Pool Permits are available at the Safety and Security Office. Please contact Ed Truitt for assistance setting up this program.