Join your colleagues who are Hopeful for thriving communities
Announcing UNE's Charitable Giving Campaign
UNE’s first lady, Lynn Brandsma, shares information about the University’s Charitable Giving Campaign.
There is no single answer to achieve a thriving community but there are many solutions. Whether you care about racial equity, mental health, addiction treatment, educational opportunities, or job training, the UNE-United Way partnership offers you an easy, efficient way to support local causes.
While we are Hopeful that brighter days are ahead, we know our neighbors need us more than ever as we recover and rebuild a stronger more equitable community. We are confident you will join your colleagues in the 2021 Charitable Giving Campaign to create a Hopeful and thriving future for all in Southern Maine.
Take Action Today
- Learn more about United Way of Southern Maine's goals and purpose to determine the impact you would like to make.
- Determine the per-pay period contribution you would like to make or make a one-time contribution with a check or credit/debit card.
- Download and complete the Charitable Giving Campaign form (PDF). For those making contributions through payroll, note that deductions will take place for payrolls falling between January 1 to December 30, 2022. For example, full-year pay cycles have 24 pay periods and 9-month faculty and professional staff have 18 pay periods.
- Print and sign your completed form.
- Return the completed form by November 30 to Human Resources at 716 Stevens Avenue, Portland, ME, 04103; via intercampus mail; or scan and email it to email@example.com.
- Congratulate yourself for your leadership in advancing the common good in our communities and in the state of Maine!
United Way of Southern Maine
The mission of United Way of Southern Maine (formerly the United Way of York County and the United Way of Greater Portland) is to improve people’s lives by mobilizing the caring power of our community. We are uniting individuals and organizations around our community’s shared vision, Thrive2027, three 10-year goals to improve education, financial stability, and health for every person in Southern Maine. And, because we believe everyone has a role to play in building a thriving community, we actively seek to engage donors, advocates, and volunteers to create measurable, long-lasting community change.
- Hop aboard the virtual bus tour (video) to visit five of the many organizations making an impact with your donations.
- United Way is helping people face big challenges and improve people’s lives (video) by mobilizing the power of community.
- How UWSM uses your dollar for education, for financial stability for health (PDF)
- United Way of Greater Portland Community Partners
The UNE-United Way Partnership by the Numbers
While annual contributions are vital to the United Way effort, UNE faculty, professional staff, and students work with United Way in other ways to expand our connections and deepen the impact we make within the local communities.
books collected at the 2021 fun run for the Learning Works organization through their partnership with United Way of Southern Maine
stuffed animals collected and donated by UNE's Teddy Bear Toss since 2017
Coats contributed by UNE with United Way and the Biddeford Police Department last winter for our first Coat Drive
- Since 2017 UNE's Teddy Bear Toss has collected and donated more than 13,000 new/gently used stuffed animals and $7,000 to support local agencies.
- The 2021 Fun Run book collection collected more than 1,200 new and gently used books for the project with Learning Works organization through their partnership with United Way of Southern Maine.
- The 2020 Giving Tree event collected new unwrapped gifts for more than 25 recipients during the COVID. Look for upcoming information on this event as we plan to expand to help even more families this year.
- UNE partnered with United Way and the Biddeford Police Department last winter for our first Coat Drive. We contributed more than 30 coats out of the 250 coats that were collected regionally.
- The 2019 Fun Run school supplies drive provided area students with pens, pencils, notebooks, rulers, glue, crayons, markers, and many more items needed for successful engagement in the classroom.