Frequently asked questions about campus reintegration

Which COVID-19 vaccines qualify to meet the vaccination requirement?

You must receive one of the following vaccines:

  • Pfizer–BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine
  • Moderna COVID-19 vaccine
  • Janssen/Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine
What does it mean to be vaccinated?

The CDC states that individuals are vaccinated two weeks after receiving one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.

Do I need to be vaccinated if I have already had COVID-19?

Yes. Anyone who previously had COVID-19 will still be required to be vaccinated. Employees who have already had COVID-19 should consult with their medical providers and vaccination sites to determine the appropriate timing for their vaccinations.

What happens if I refuse to be vaccinated?

Unvaccinated employees and employees who do not have an approved accommodation will not be permitted to work and will face additional consequences, up to and including termination of employment. If any employee has any questions or concerns about the vaccination requirement they should contact the Office of Human Resources at

Will UNE be requiring other vaccinations for faculty and professional staff?

No. The only vaccination the University is requiring of employees is the COVID-19 vaccine.

Will there be exemptions to the vaccination requirement?

There will be two permitted exemptions to UNE’s vaccination requirement:

  • Medical Condition/Disability: A medical condition/disability accommodation will be made for students and employees for whom receiving the COVID-19 vaccination is medically inadvisable. In order to qualify for a medical condition/disability accommodation, employees must contact the Office of Human Resources at to engage in the interactive process of assessing their request.
    • If you are pregnant or may become pregnant or are breastfeeding you should contact your medical provider to determine if COVID-19 vaccination is medically advisable. If the determination is made by your medical provider that receiving a COVID-19 vaccine is inadvisable, then you may follow the process to request a medical exception
  • Religious: A religious accommodation will be made for employees who hold a sincere religious belief that is contrary to the vaccination requirement. Employees seeking a religious accommodation must contact the Office of Human Resources at to engage in the interactive process of assessing their request.
How do I prove I have been vaccinated?

Benefit-eligible employees must enter their vaccination information and upload a photo of their vaccination card in PeopleAdmin, the system established by UNE to track vaccine information for employees. Instructions for completing this step were emailed to benefit-eligible faculty and professional staff.

  • New hires will be provided instructions with their new hire paperwork.
  • Adjuncts, temporary employees, and volunteers will be provided information by their college or unit.
I feel anxious about campus reintegration, receiving the vaccination, COVID-19 still present in the community, and other related topics. What resources are available to help me with these concerns?

As an employee, you and your family have cost-free access to the Employee Assistance Program (EAP). EAP personal advocates will work with you and your household family members to help you resolve issues you may be facing, connect you with the right mental health professionals, direct you to a variety of helpful resources in your community, and more. Services include five face-to-face counseling services with a counselor in your area, legal assistance, financial assistance, and more. For more information on this service call Cigna EAP directly at 1 (877) 622-4327.

I need to take time off, how should I allocate my leave time? What leave time am I able to use?

Speak with your manager/direct supervisor about your need for any time off from work. Depending on your reason, you would want to use the appropriate leave time that you have available, including any accrued floating holidays, sick time, personal days, or vacation time. Non-exempt (hourly) employees should ensure that any time off is noted on your timesheets that will be submitted to Payroll. Exempt employees and salaried non-exempt employees should indicate time-off used on their monthly leave time reports as per the normal Payroll guidelines.

What should I do if I am an employee and feeling sick?

If you have any symptoms of illness please stay home, take the time needed to care for yourself, and update your supervisor if you will not be able to work during the day due to those symptoms. If you are concerned that the symptoms might be related to COVID-19, reach out to your regular healthcare provider and get guidance from them on how to communicate with your doctor. Ensure you are also practicing a few simple steps to help curb the spread of any illness: practice social distancing, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water and avoid touching your eyes or face.

Does our short-term disability and FMLA policy apply if I test positive for COVID-19?

There are a wide variety of scenarios under which an individual may be quarantined. If an individual is quarantined as directed by a licensed health care professional or government agency. Read the full response about short term disability and FMLA policies (PDF)